Systems Engineer - ATAS
Location: Smyrna, GA
Categories: Aeronautics, Aerospace, Aircraft, Autonomous Systems, Countermeasures, Electromagnetics, Testing, Threat Systems, RF, Robotics/Automated Systems, Sensors Integration, Sensors/Optics, System Architecture, System Engineering, Electronic Warfare, IR, ISR & Tactical Systems, Military Vehicles, Project/Program Management, Radar
The Force Protection Systems Branch in the Aerospace & Acoustics Technologies Division (AATD) with the Aerospace, Transportation, and Advanced Systems Laboratory (ATAS) at the Georgia Tech Research Institute (GTRI) is looking to hire a Systems Engineer. The Force Protection Systems Branch (FPSB) focuses on the development, integration, testing and evaluation of tactical military systems for the protection of personnel and critical infrastructure worldwide. Systems engineering expertise is applied to sensors, platforms, and integrated systems, with a focus on small unmanned systems and asymmetric warfare.
Program areas include small unmanned aircraft systems (UAS), Counter UAS systems, persistent tactical ISR platforms and sensors, and battlefield acoustics. Within the Aerospace and Acoustics Technologies Division, FPSB focuses on opportunities for transition of emerging technologies to address urgent requirements. Primary sponsors currently come from the US military acquisition community.
- Testing and evaluation of unmanned aircraft systems and related technologies;
- Development and systems integration of innovative solutions for Force Protection applications focused on autonomous and unmanned systems;
- Acquisition and analysis of engineering data;
- Systems engineering for complex system-of-systems architectures addressing technical and non-technical metrics;
- Analyzing sensor performance, involving both active and passive sensing modalities, and the physical phenomenology that determines the signatures of targets and backgrounds;
- Writing technical reports, user manuals, and software;
- Supporting other engineering-related work as needed. In support of these technical requirements, intermittent domestic travel will be required to test ranges and other government and contractor facilities.
25% - 50% travel
Education & Length of Experience
Research Engineer/Scientist/Technologist/Associate I
- A Bachelor's degree in Aerospace Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or a related area..
Research Engineer/Scientist/Technologist/Associate II
- A Master’s degree in Aerospace Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or a related area. and three (3) years of relevant full-time experience after completion of that degree,
- A Master’s degree in Aerospace Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or a related area. and five (5) years of relevant full-time experience after completion of a Bachelor’s degree, or
- A Doctoral degree in Aerospace Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or a related area..
Required Minimum Qualifications
- Experience as a systems engineer working on a complex system or system-of-systems, with competence in requirements decomposition to subsystem specifications
- Experience with design, integration, and/or testing of at least one of the following sensor types: radar, electro-optical/infrared, acoustic, ESM/EA/EW, or similar, or design/integration/testing of military unmanned systems or tactical vehicles
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, on technical and operational topics
- Proficiency with MS Excel, PowerPoint, and Word
- Three to seven years of work experience on related programs is strongly preferred.
- Master's degree is preferred.
- Experience as a test engineer with test design, execution, and documentation in support of military requirements
- Experience with design, integration, and/or testing of unmanned systems
- Experience with data acquisition and test instrumentation in both lab and field environments
- Experience with quality assurance, configuration management, and/or issue tracking and resolution for complex military systems, such as electronic warfare (EW) systems, including lab and field testing
- Experience with software engineering and design
- Prior service in the US military
- Experience with the military acquisition process
- Experience with military RDT&E, developmental testing, and/or operational testing, ideally including experience working with organizations such as AFOTEC, ATEC, and MCOTEA
- Familiarity with tactical military operations and understanding of military requirements
- Experience with scripting languages (e.g., Python) and Matlab
U.S. Citizenship Requirements
Due to our research contracts with the US federal government, candidates for this position are required to be US Citizens.
Clearance Type Required
Diversity & Inclusion
Diversity & Inclusion (D&I) at Georgia Tech Research Institute aims to enhance the Institute’s mission of solving the world’s most complex technical problems by creating a workforce with a shared appreciation for diversity, raising awareness around inclusiveness, and fostering a sense of belonging and appreciation for all members of our community.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Georgia Tech Research Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees. Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law.
Back Submit Resume