Aviation Systems Engineer - Huntsville, AL - ASL
Location: Huntsville, AL
Categories: Aircraft, Avionics, System Engineering
The Applied Systems Laboratory (ASL) of the Georgia Tech Research Institute (GTRI) is seeking an experienced Systems Engineer who has an interest in intellectually challenging and rewarding work. We value bright, intellectually curious, growth oriented professionals and provide a work environment that allows work / life balance and opportunity for growth. GTRI employee about 2000 employees working in 8 labs across 14 locations with a main campus in Atlanta, GA.
Located in Huntsville, Alabama, ASL conducts world-class applied research in avionics modeling, simulation, analysis, testing, evaluation, and software development in support of the government sponsors. This work helps keep Americans safe and further the technological edge. To learn more about ASL, please visit www.gtri.gatech.edu/asl.
The Systems Engineer:
- Supports system integration and software development projects for Department of Defense aircraft system improvement programs.
- Coordinates system development tasks to include design, integration and formal testing.
- Uses system specifications and interface descriptions for integration into an aircraft system of systems.
- Serves as a subject matter expert for system architectural framework, methods and tools.
- Ensures that technical work is performed to appropriate professional standards and that technical requirements are met.
- Develops innovative solutions to meet system requirements.
- Manages and documents system configurations.
- Manages reports of system deficiencies.
- Creates and investigates software change requests.
10% - 25% travel
Education & Length of Experience
Senior Research Engineer/Scientist
- A Master’s degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or similar technically related field and seven (7) years of relevant full-time experience after completion of that degree,
- A Master’s degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or similar technically related field and nine (9) years of relevant full-time experience after completion of a Bachelor’s degree, or
- A Doctoral degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or similar technically related field and four (4) years of relevant full time experience.
Principal Research Engineer/Scientist
- A Master’s degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or similar technically related field and eleven (11) years of relevant full-time experience after completion of that degree,
- A Doctoral degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or similar technically related fieldand seven (7) years of relevant full-time experience.
Required Minimum Qualifications
- 15+ years prior experience
- Experience in hardware, software, and firmware development methodologies and structured approaches to system development
- Strong coordination, organization, teaming and communication abilities
- Works well individually or in a group setting
- Ability to work under pressure and time constraints
- Successfully presents technical information
- Experience with military avionics and sensor networks including 1553 data bus, ARINC-429, Ethernet, and serial interfaces
- Knowledge of or experience with open system architecture such as FACE, HOST, MOSA, and SOSA is preferred
- Experience with configuration management and requirements management systems such as DOORS, JIRA, MKS or ClearCase is preferred
- Experience using scripting languages for data analysis (Perl or Ruby or VBS)
- Effectively work in small teams of GTRI and government members.
- PhD in science or engineering is preferred.
- Active security clearance is preferred.
U.S. Citizenship Requirements
Due to our research contracts with the US federal government, candidates for this position are required to be US Citizens.
Clearance Type Required
Diversity & Inclusion
Diversity & Inclusion (D&I) at Georgia Tech Research Institute aims to enhance the Institute’s mission of solving the world’s most complex technical problems by creating a workforce with a shared appreciation for diversity, raising awareness around inclusiveness, and fostering a sense of belonging and appreciation for all members of our community.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Georgia Tech Research Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees. Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law.
Back Submit Resume