Senior Embedded Device Security Engineer - CIPHER
Location: Atlanta, GA
Categories: Cybersecurity, Embedded Systems
CIPHER’s Network Vulnerability Division (NVD) is skilled in reverse engineering, vulnerability discovery, and forensics analysis of embedded systems. Red team activities focus on vulnerability discovery and the development and demonstration of RF and network-based techniques to gain unauthorized access to and/or exploit information networks. These efforts identify weaknesses and help ensure that mitigations are effective. The Division specializes in wireless and embedded devices such as radios, modems, routers and embedded controllers comprising various military and Industrial Control System (ICS) networks. Research is also focused on developing innovative tools, architectures, and methodologies for software and microelectronic hardware assurance to support needs in trustworthy embedded computing applications, e.g., Internet of Things (IoT).
GTRI/CIPHER seeks a highly motivated individual with demonstrated experience to support assessment of software and/or firmware of embedded communications systems. The candidate will perform analysis of software/firmware from embedded and PC-based systems for identification of system technical capabilities and potential vulnerabilities. Technical disciplines that may be required in these efforts include static and dynamic analysis of software/firmware components of communication systems, development of software analysis tools to assist in the reverse engineering process, and utilization of virtual and emulation environments for executing software under test. The following skills/experience are highly desired: experience with a variety of microprocessor architectures and programmable logic devices, software reverse engineering, knowledge of typical encryption and authentication schemes used in wireless communications, digital communication theory, networking protocols, embedded operating systems, and embedded system programming. The candidate will be expected to support sponsor briefings and prepare technical reports.
10% - 25% travel
Education & Length of Experience
Senior Research Engineer/Scientist/Technologist
- A Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, or Computer Science and seven (7) years of relevant full-time experience after completion of that degree,
- A Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, or Computer Science and nine (9) years of relevant full-time experience after completion of a Bachelor’s degree, or
- A Doctoral degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, or Computer Science and four (4) years of relevant full time experience.
Required Minimum Qualifications
- 3-10 years of relevant work experience
- Experience programming embedded communications devices including one or more of the following: micro controllers, digital signal processors, and programmable logic devices including FPGAs.
- Ability to work independently and effectively in a multi-disciplinary team environment
- Ability to follow Georgia Tech policies and procedures
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Experience with software reverse engineering tools (IDA, advanced debuggers, etc.)
- Experience designing and implementing digital communication systems in embedded software/firmware demonstrating knowledge in one or more of the following communication theory concepts: modulation/demodulation, spread spectrum (frequency hopping, in particular), error correction coding, synchronization methods, wireless network management strategies, encryption algorithms, and authentication.
- Experience working with the U.S. government, including the Department of Defense and the Intelligence Community
- TS/SCI DoD security clearance
U.S. Citizenship Requirements
Due to our research contracts with the US federal government, candidates for this position are required to be US Citizens.
Clearance Type Required
Ability to obtain Secret Clearance upon hire
Diversity & Inclusion
Diversity & Inclusion (D&I) at Georgia Tech Research Institute aims to enhance the Institute’s mission of solving the world’s most complex technical problems by creating a workforce with a shared appreciation for diversity, raising awareness around inclusiveness, and fostering a sense of belonging and appreciation for all members of our community.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Georgia Tech Research Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees. Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law.
Back Submit Resume