Imaging Scientist/Engineer - EOSL
Location: Atlanta, GA
Categories: Algorithm Development, Artificial Intelligence, Image Processing, IR, ISR & Tactical Systems, Lidar, Sensors Integration, Sensors/Optics, Signal Processing, Software Development/Design, Space Systems, System Engineering
This job is for a full-time research faculty position in the Electro-Optical Systems Innovation Division (EOSID) with the Electro-Optical Systems Laboratory (EOSL) at the Georgia Tech Research Institute (GTRI). The main responsibility will be providing full imaging chain subject matter expertise to conceptualize, design, analyze, build, and test optical systems that meet customer requirements and internal research goals. The job provides opportunities to develop advanced technology and publish research.
EOSID’s research is performed in the areas of Intelligence, Surveillance, and Reconnaissance (ISR), Intelligent Sensors and Imaging Systems (ISIS), and Active Electro-Optic Systems. Our team designs, builds, and tests the hardware in the entire imaging chain. Key technical areas include Hyperspectral and Multispectral Imaging Processing; EO System and Component Analysis and Characterization; Optical Imaging and Tagging; and Airborne Lidar System Design, Construction, and Operation for real-time topography, FOPEN, and bathymetry.
- Lead and contribute to key technical efforts in the analysis, construction, and design of optical systems for remote sensing applications. (65%)
- Document work in memoranda, sponsor briefs, conference proceedings, and journal articles. Brief senior leadership and sponsors as required. (15%)
- Support field integration, data collection, and other testing activities at test sites and facilities (travel may be required). (10%)
- Participate in new business development efforts by contributing to white papers, RFI/RFP responses, and sponsor briefs, and by proposing new research areas suitable for internal research and development (IR&D) funding. (10%)
Education & Length of Experience
Research Engineer/Scientist I
- A Bachelor's degree in Electrical and Computer Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Computer Science, Software Engineering, Physics, Mathematics, Imaging Science, Mechanical Engineering, Geomatics, Civil Engineering, Astronomy, Astrophysics.
Required Minimum Qualifications
- Candidates currently enrolled in an accredited Bachelor’s degree program relevant to this position will be considered.
Qualified candidates at all degree levels (Bachelors, Masters, PhD) will be considered. Candidates should have education, experience, and/or expertise in one or more of the following:
- Satellite/Overhead imagery
- Geomatics/Geospatial Intelligence
- Machine learning, pattern recognition, and clustering
- Sensor data fusion
- EO/IR imaging systems
- Radiometric analysis
- Fourier optics
- Electro-optical/Image signal processing
- Point cloud processing
- Lidar (i.e., topographic, bathymetric, atmospheric)
- Coherent and Incoherent Imaging and Optical Remote Sensing Techniques (Synthetic Aperture LIDAR - SAL, Laser vibrometry, Holography, Optical Coherence Tomography, etc.)
- Hyperspectral imaging (HSI)
- Analytic geometry and advanced statistics
Additionally, candidates should have experience working with one or more of the following:
- Laboratory equipment such as oscilloscopes, spectrum analyzers, and/or data acquisition hardware/software
- Computational tools such as Matlab, Octave, and/or IDL
- Programming languages such as Python and/or C++
- Toolboxes such as CUDA, OpenGL, and Open CV
- Optical system breadboarding
U.S. Citizenship Requirements
Due to our research contracts with the US federal government, candidates for this position are required to be US Citizens.
Clearance Type Required
Ability to obtain Secret Clearance upon hire
Diversity & Inclusion
Diversity & Inclusion (D&I) at Georgia Tech Research Institute aims to enhance the Institute’s mission of solving the world’s most complex technical problems by creating a workforce with a shared appreciation for diversity, raising awareness around inclusiveness, and fostering a sense of belonging and appreciation for all members of our community.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Georgia Tech Research Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees. Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law.
Back Submit Resume