Test & Evaluation Branch Chief - Huntsville, AL - ASL
Location: Huntsville, AL
Categories: Avionics, Embedded Systems, System Architecture, System Engineering, Testing
The Branch Chief role is a leadership position within the Aviation Systems Division (ASD) of the Applied Systems Laboratory (ASL). The role will lead teams of system engineering, software development, and test and evaluation researchers responsible for technical research and innovation in meeting sponsored research objectives. Branch capability areas include full programmatic support of ASD projects at hand.
The Branch Chief will be responsible for cost, schedule, and performance of the branch efforts as well as executing a strategy to meet ASD’s vision. While the Branch Chief does not need to be a recognized expert in the space, he or she must maintain a high-level understanding of the research and must be capable of conveying reasonable detail to potential research sponsors. He or she will be responsible in working in a matrix organization for identifying new research opportunities, leading proposal efforts to secure funding, and working with technical area mangers for resource allocation in support of projects. He or she will be required to develop and maintain a growth strategy for the branch over time that fits with the lab and division’s stated vision. Knowledge of Earned Value Management (EVM) is a plus.
The Branch Chief will maintain a high level of engagement among a number of project tasks throughout the ASD. He or she will work individually or within a team to conduct sponsored research to include systems engineering, software development, and test and evaluation related tasks. In this capacity, the Branch Chief is expected to support conferences, sponsor briefings, and participate in delivering content with other technical outreach activities.
Additionally, the Branch Chief will be responsible for all aspects of personnel management within the branch. He or she will be responsible for helping each team member set and achieve goals annually, as well as assigning them duties that aid them in the fulfillment of such goals. The Branch Chief will coordinate with technical branch chiefs within ASD and available resources in other labs within GT/GTRI to ensure coverage of his or her team, ensuring projects have the correct resources and team members are adequately engaged to meet the cost, schedule, and performance requirements.
Finally, the Branch Chief will represent a leadership role to the ASD, aiding division management in its operation and continued growth. He or she will be required to provide summary information to division management representing vision, strategy, goals, and overall health of the branch on a periodic basis. This requirement includes strategic thinking with respect to areas of improvement or research expansion within the division.
- Take and maintain management training as required for this position
- Approve travel for branch employees
- Approve time sheets for branch personnel
- Meet with and mentor branch employees individually
- Manage customer relationships, including communicating GTRI vision and team resource needs
- Engage in discussions an collaborate with project managers to secure initial/ongoing funding for existing tasks
- Perform GTRI appraisals for branch personnel
- Present a detailed branch health and status to the ASL Leadership Council once per quarter
10% - 25% travel
Education & Length of Experience
Research Engineer/Scientist/Associate II
- A Master’s degree in Electrical or Computer Engineering or a related field and three (3) years of relevant full-time experience after completion of that degree,
- A Master’s degree in Electrical or Computer Engineering or a related field and five (5) years of relevant full-time experience after completion of a Bachelor’s degree, or
- A Doctoral degree in Electrical or Computer Engineering or a related field.
Senior Research Engineer/Scientist/Associate
- A Master’s degree in Electrical or Computer Engineering or a related field and seven (7) years of relevant full-time experience after completion of that degree,
- A Master’s degree in Electrical or Computer Engineering or a related field and nine (9) years of relevant full-time experience after completion of a Bachelor’s degree, or
- A Doctoral degree in Electrical or Computer Engineering or a related field and four (4) years of relevant full time experience after completion of a Bachelor's degree.
Required Minimum Qualifications
- 5+ years of experience managing cross-functional team of system, software, and test engineers
- Experience developing cost estimates utilizing various software tools
- Experience communicating technical information to a non-technical audience
- Experience managing projects supporting the development of equipment or systems for airborne applications, ground vehicle applications, or other military applications
- Experience in risk management principles
- Experience with Atlassian Suite (Confluence, Jira)
- Experience delivering technical presentations to sponsor technical and managerial representatives
- Knowledgeable and proficient in using Technical publications relating to work responsibilities
- Knowledge of policies and procedures relating to administration, communication, correspondence, messages, publications, and forms management, general office management, overall organizational structure, and its interrelationship with the mission
- Ability to work under pressure and time constraints
U.S. Citizenship Requirements
Due to our research contracts with the US federal government, candidates for this position are required to be US Citizens.
Clearance Type Required
Ability to obtain Secret Clearance upon hire
Diversity & Inclusion
Diversity & Inclusion (D&I) at Georgia Tech Research Institute aims to enhance the Institute’s mission of solving the world’s most complex technical problems by creating a workforce with a shared appreciation for diversity, raising awareness around inclusiveness, and fostering a sense of belonging and appreciation for all members of our community.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Georgia Tech Research Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees. Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law.
Back Submit Resume