Aviation Systems Division Deputy Technical Manager - Huntsville, AL - ASL
Location: Huntsville, AL
Categories: Aircraft, Avionics, Countermeasures, Electronic Warfare, Embedded Systems, Human Factors, Instrumentation, Machine Learning, Sensors Integration
The Aviation Systems Division (ASPO) of Applied Systems Laboratory (ASL) in Huntsville, AL is currently seeking a Deputy Technical Manager for a full time research faculty position supporting the Program Executive Office (PEO) Aviation sponsored research in Huntsville, AL. This is senior sponsor facing position that will serve dual role as a Technical Lead Engineer and as a Deputy Manager overseeing active aviation and avionic projects with primary sponsor at Redstone Arsenal. The successful candidate will provide leadership of operational activities that include providing monthly performance status reports, organizing staff planning and assignments, overseeing sponsored research projects, and coordinating business development activities.
- Supporting systems design, development, and integration of fixed-wing and rotary-wing aviation and avionics related tasks for multiple projects as tasked in support of research for PEO Aviation
- Leading the coordination between multiple specialized teams focused on the integration of hardware, software, and instrumentation for platforms including but not limited to AH-64, CH/MH-47, UH/HH-60, and RQ-1/MQ-1/MQ-9 as well as ground-based systems
- Conducting research and development on multiple aircraft platforms including avionics, radio communication, electronic warfare, and weapons systems
- Leading and supporting proposal efforts for sponsored projects
- Assisting ASPO with business development activities to include: sponsor engagement, showcasing capabilities to internal/external organizations, support conferences/summits/symposiums, and technical meetings/briefings
- Supporting high level tasks such as business strategy development, division processes in addition to personnel development and mentorship
- Training and mentoring team members including research faculty, undergraduate and graduate students, to develop expertise in engineering processes and research activities, professional development and training opportunities
- Assisting ASPO with administrative actions including Recruiting/Hiring/Terminating team members, performance appraisals, performance improvement plans, review/approval of employee time sheets, purchase requests, and travel authorizations and expense reports
- Maintaining strong relationships with Atlanta-based researchers to include staying abreast of GTRI capabilities
- Identifying and communicating business development opportunities to ASL, especially those outside existing sponsor relationships
- Serving as the acting lead during periods of ASPO Chief absence
10% - 25% travel
Education & Length of Experience
Research Engineer/Scientist/Associate II
- A Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, or a related field and three (3) years of relevant full-time experience after completion of that degree,
- A Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, or a related field and five (5) years of relevant full-time experience after completion of a Bachelor’s degree, or
- A Doctoral degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, or a related field.
Senior Research Engineer/Scientist/Associate
- A Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, or a related field and seven (7) years of relevant full-time experience after completion of that degree,
- A Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, or a related field and nine (9) years of relevant full-time experience after completion of a Bachelor’s degree, or
- A Doctoral degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, or a related field- and four (4) years of relevant full time experience after completion of a Bachelor's degree.
Required Minimum Qualifications
- Demonstrated experience with aviation systems with a path to airworthiness qualification
- Experience supervising and managing programs and technical teams
- Experience supporting systems integration and flight testing
- Experience with avionics, radio communication, Model Based System Engineering (MBSE), Open System Architecture (OSA), Aircraft Survivability Equipment (ASE), and EW
- Experience in a functional management role and/or leading mid-sized teams
U.S. Citizenship Requirements
Due to our research contracts with the US federal government, candidates for this position are required to be US Citizens.
Clearance Type Required
Diversity & Inclusion
Diversity & Inclusion (D&I) at Georgia Tech Research Institute aims to enhance the Institute’s mission of solving the world’s most complex technical problems by creating a workforce with a shared appreciation for diversity, raising awareness around inclusiveness, and fostering a sense of belonging and appreciation for all members of our community.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Georgia Tech Research Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees. Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law.
Back Submit Resume