Security Research Student Intern - Summer 2021 - CIPHER
Type: Students: Intern
Location: Atlanta, GA
Categories: Cybersecurity, Embedded Systems, RF
CIPHER’s Network Vulnerability Division (NVD) is skilled in reverse engineering, vulnerability discovery, and forensics analysis of embedded systems. Red team activities focus on vulnerability discovery and the development and demonstration of RF and network-based techniques to gain unauthorized access to and/or exploit information networks. These efforts identify weaknesses and help ensure that mitigations are effective. The Division specializes in wireless and embedded devices such as radios, modems, routers and embedded controllers comprising various military and Industrial Control System (ICS) networks. Research is also focused on developing innovative tools, architectures, and methodologies for software and microelectronic hardware assurance to support needs in trustworthy embedded computing applications, e.g., Internet of Things (IoT).
The primary function will be to support teams performing embedded system cyber security testing. Successful candidates will need to be able to analyze large problems and break them down into smaller, achievable tasks. To support this they will need to be able to create high level block diagrams, create custom scripts to support testing and analysis. Working alone alongside other students is expected. Strong written communication skills are a must.
Experience with capture the flag events, firmware/software reverse engineering, or software defined radios is desired.
Required Minimum Qualifications
- Pursuing a Bachelor’s, Master's, or Ph.D degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or related field
- 3.0 or higher cumulative GPA
- Ability to work alone and in groups
- Strong written communication skill
- Available for a full-time internship May 2021 - August 2021
- Experience with capture the flag events, firmware/software reverse engineering, or software defined radios
- Experience in 1 or more programming languages
- Experience developing embedded systems
- Experience with software defined radios
- Task / team leadership experience
- Strong math skills and ability to learn complex engineering concepts
- Familiarity with Linux and open source tools
- Ability to clearly communicate technical ideas
Hours per Week
40 hours per week
U.S. Citizenship Requirements
Due to our research contracts with the US federal government, candidates for this position are required to be US Citizens.
Clearance Type Required
Ability to obtain Secret Clearance upon hire
Housing and Relocation
Housing and relocation assistance are not available for this position.
Diversity & Inclusion
Diversity & Inclusion (D&I) at Georgia Tech Research Institute aims to enhance the Institute’s mission of solving the world’s most complex technical problems by creating a workforce with a shared appreciation for diversity, raising awareness around inclusiveness, and fostering a sense of belonging and appreciation for all members of our community.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Georgia Tech Research Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees. Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law.
Back Submit Resume