*Junior Microwave Photonics Researcher - EOSL
Location: Atlanta, GA
Categories: Electronic Warfare, Modeling/Simulation, Radar, RF
The Electro-Optical Systems Laboratory (EOSL) RF Photonics and Advanced Materials (RFPAM) Division is currently seeking qualified candidates for a Junior Microwave Photonics Researcher. The Junior Researcher will build and expand GTRI’s research portfolio in areas that address current, and future Department of Defense (DoD) needs, and advance the technology readiness level of high-impact technologies. Additionally, the Junior Researcher will perform research in the fields of System Engineering and Microwave Photonics, with focuses on: system requirements development, RF/photonic theory, millimeter-wave design and analysis, integrated circuit design and fabrication, and advanced communication networks and theory.
- Perform research in the fields of photonic integrated circuits and advanced microelectronics
- Design and layout RF photonic integrated circuit designs using commonly printed circuit board (PCB) tools (Altium Designer, Cadence, or similar) and perform simulation of RF photonic component and system simulation via OptSim RSoft software tools
- Support photonic prototyping efforts through defining architectures, deriving system requirements, and assisting in prototype assembly and testing.
- Use common RF/optical test equipment (spectrum analyzers, power meters, and signal analyzers) to verify designs and performance in laboratory environments
- Support business development activities among Department or Defense (DoD) program offices via the preparation of proposals and white papers
Education & Length of Experience
Research Engineer/Scientist I
- A Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, RF Engineer, Computer Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics.
Research Engineer/Scientist II
- A Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering, RF Engineer, Computer Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics and three (3) years of relevant full-time experience after completion of that degree,
- A Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering, RF Engineer, Computer Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics- and five (5) years of relevant full-time experience after completion of a Bachelor’s degree, or
- A Doctoral degree in Electrical Engineering, RF Engineer, Computer Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics.
Required Minimum Qualifications
- Working knowledge of microwave photonic theory and components
- Experience using common optical test equipment (spectrum analyzers, power meters, and signal analyzers)
- Experience with RF photonic component and system simulation software (RSoft, PhoeniX, or similar)
- Familiarity with PCB design/layout tools (Altium Designer, Cadence or similar)
- Design, development, and demonstration of microwave photonic experiments
- Relevant experience in applied research and development
- Strong programming skills in MATLAB and Python
- Strong math skills and ability to learn complex engineering concepts
- Experience in RF, digital, firmware, or embedded software design
- Ability to clearly communicate technical ideas to a non-technical audience
- Ability to work independently as well as in a dynamic team environment
- Experience in leading research projects and managing researchers
U.S. Citizenship Requirements
Due to our research contracts with the US federal government, candidates for this position are required to be US Citizens.
Clearance Type Required
Diversity & Inclusion
Diversity & Inclusion (D&I) at Georgia Tech Research Institute aims to enhance the Institute’s mission of solving the world’s most complex technical problems by creating a workforce with a shared appreciation for diversity, raising awareness around inclusiveness, and fostering a sense of belonging and appreciation for all members of our community.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Georgia Tech Research Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees. Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law.
Back Submit Resume