Senior/Principal Researcher - Patuxent Field Office - ACL
Location: Patuxent River, MD
Categories: Aeronautics, Aerospace, Aircraft, Artificial Intelligence, Avionics, Countermeasures, Threat Systems, Sensors Integration, Sensors/Optics, Signal Processing, Software Development/Design, System Architecture, Testing, Missile Warning Systems, Modeling/Simulation, Other, Project/Program Management, Radar, RF, IR, ISR & Tactical Systems, Lidar, Machine Learning, Mechanical Design & Analysis, Military Vehicles, Cybersecurity, Data Analytics/Science, Electromagnetics, Electronic Warfare, Embedded Systems, Hardware Development/Design
The Advanced Concepts Laboratory (ACL) of the Georgia Tech Research Institute (GTRI) seeks qualified candidates for the position of a Senior Researcher to assist the U.S. Navy (USN) with gap analysis, technology development, and mission integration of advanced capabilities. In support of this mission, the Senior Researcher will manage and execute complex projects through a comprehensive understanding of sponsor requirements and GTRI capabilities. Strategic level communication skills required to engage with Navy senior leadership to develop business opportunities, understand requirements and deliver presentations. An additional role will be to represent GTRI in forward-facing sponsor engagements to coordinate GTRI activities and develop new opportunities. The position requires the ability to assimilate a broad range of individual technologies and capabilities into a coherent system-level analysis. Keen analytic abilities combined with excellent communication skills are a major asset in this position. This position reports to the ACL Associate Lab Director but supports multiple GTRI laboratories and will work closely with the Patuxent River Field Office Manager.
ACL’s research thrusts extend across domains and include bio-, chemical-, RF-, optical-sensor physics; materials science and engineering; electromagnetic theory, computation, structures, and measurements; electronic warfare techniques and applications; operational scenario modeling and simulation; traditional and asymmetric threat analysis; and ground maneuver warfare.
- Provide project management, technical oversight, and subject matter expert support for GTRI's Pax River-based portfolio of sponsored research to ensure execution of successful research programs with a focus on ACL programs
- Maintain strong relationships with GTRI sponsors, specifically USN sponsors located in the Patuxent River and DC area, to include supporting frequent, on-base meetings
- Maintain strong relationships with Atlanta-based researchers and stay abreast of GTRI capabilities
- Coordinate business development efforts with other GTRI laboratories in order to maximize program development opportunities for GTRI as a whole
- Maintain awareness of potential Navy sponsor needs both internal and external to ACL technical areas where the best interest of the sponsor could be served by other GTRI laboratories
- Coordinate proposal strategy, support bid/no-bid decisions, and both lead and support proposal effort
- Work with the Pax River Field Office Manager to coordinate local sponsor engagement activities for locally sponsored projects
10% - 25% travel
Education & Length of Experience
Senior Research Engineer/Scientist
- A Master's degree in Computer Science, Computer/Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Systems Engineering or any other Engineering, Mathematics, or Science related degree and seven (7) years of relevant full-time experience after completion of that degree,
- A Master’s degree in Computer Science, Computer/Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Systems Engineering or any other Engineering, Mathematics, or Science related degree and nine (9) years of relevant full-time experience after completion of a Bachelor’s degree, or
- A Doctoral degree in Computer Science, Computer/Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Systems Engineering or any other Engineering, Mathematics, or Science related degree and four (4) years of relevant full-time experience after completion of a Bachelor's degree.
Principal Research Engineer/Scientist
- A Master’s degree in Computer Science, Computer/Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Systems Engineering or any other Engineering, Mathematics, or Science related degree and eleven (11) years of relevant full-time experience, or
- A Doctoral degree in Computer Science, Computer/Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Systems Engineering or any other Engineering, Mathematics, or Science related degree and seven (7) years of relevant full-time experience.
Required Minimum Qualifications
- Minimum of 10 years experience leading technical programs in project management or a technical leadership role
- Experience leading business development activities and sponsor engagements
- Experience facilitating dialogue, collaboration, and partnerships among research personnel, government, and industry stakeholders
- Ability to create and deliver technical presentations effectively
- Experience serving as a Project Manager/Project Director
- Top Secret/SCI clearance
- Previous experience working for or supporting the US Navy
- A deep understanding of Naval Aviation Acquisition, to include programs and organizational structures
- A strong background facilitating dialogue, collaboration, and partnerships between research personnel and government and/or industry stakeholders
- Experience managing people in a supervisory (or back up supervisory) role
- Strong background and expertise in one or more of the GTRI's technical competencies (e.g., electronic warfare, cyber warfare, avionics, systems engineering, etc.)
- Background in management of large programs or contract vehicles
- Experience planning complex engineering work and leading engineering teams in the execution of that work
- Working knowledge of systems development processes, configuration management, and control processes, and project management
- Experience with organizational policies and procedures and interaction with support/operational units
- Experience in presenting to Senior Executive level sponsors and decision-makers
U.S. Citizenship Requirements
Due to our research contracts with the US federal government, candidates for this position are required to be US Citizens.
Clearance Type Required
Candidates must be able to obtain and maintain an active security clearance.
Diversity & Inclusion
Diversity & Inclusion (D&I) at Georgia Tech Research Institute aims to enhance the Institute’s mission of solving the world’s most complex technical problems by creating a workforce with a shared appreciation for diversity, raising awareness around inclusiveness, and fostering a sense of belonging and appreciation for all members of our community.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Georgia Tech Research Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees. Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law.
Back Submit Resume