Graduate Research Assistant –Fall 2021– ACL/SASD
Type: Students: Graduate Research Asst. (GRA)
Location: Atlanta, GA
GTRI's Signals and Systems Division (SASD) in the Advanced Concepts Laboratory (ACL) seeks a Graduate Research Assistant (GRA) for the fall 2021 semester. The role of this position is to assist the Project Director/Principal Investigator and Technical Leads with research activities related to the development and execution of natural language processing and machine learning techniques, performing data collection, conducting data analysis, modeling human behavior, and reporting of results. The technical area of emphasis for this project is the collection and integration of ethnographic interview data with social media discovery data, toward building an iterative, machine learning-based socio-behavioral model of public response. This work will focus primarily on healthcare and university populations. The GRA will also assist with associated Institutional Review Board (IRB) requirements, technical reports, presentations, and literature reviews as needed during the course of the project. The GRA may also assist with the supervision of tasks assigned to undergraduate assistants as applicable. SASD’s mission is to shape the development of next-generation technical capabilities and strengthen our national defense through leading-edge research and analytic support, informed by a deep knowledge of operational capabilities, current intelligence, and the related information environment.
Required Minimum Qualifications
Graduate Research Assistant
• Pursuing a Master’s or Ph.D. degree at Georgia Tech in Computer Science.
• Must be enrolled full-time (12+ credit hours) during working semesters
• 3.0 or higher GPA
• Commit to 13-20 hours of work per week
• Experience in 1 or more programming languages to include Python
• Experience in applying machine learning and natural language processing techniques to the analysis of large data sets and algorithm development
• Familiarity with open source tools such as social media API usage, and experience in analyzing social media data
• Task/team leadership experience
• Strong math and data analysis skills, and ability to learn complex data analysis concepts, open source or specialized analytics tools, and behavioral modeling techniques
• Strong social science skills and ability to learn foundational social science concepts
• Report and research literature review writing skills
• Ability to clearly communicate technical ideas
Hours per Week
10–20 hours per week
U.S. Citizenship Requirements
Due to our research contracts with the US federal government, candidates for this position are required to be US Citizens.
Clearance Type Required
Housing and Relocation
Housing and relocation assistance are not available for this position.
Diversity & Inclusion
Diversity & Inclusion (D&I) at Georgia Tech Research Institute aims to enhance the Institute’s mission of solving the world’s most complex technical problems by creating a workforce with a shared appreciation for diversity, raising awareness around inclusiveness, and fostering a sense of belonging and appreciation for all members of our community.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Georgia Tech Research Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees. Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law.
Back Submit Resume