Embedded Software Engineer -- ELSYS
Location: Atlanta, GA
Categories: Sensors/Optics, Software Development/Design, Testing, Avionics, Embedded Systems, Hardware Development/Design, Networking, Sensors Integration
The Embedded Software Engineer will develop software on a multi-disciplinary team of engineers performing research supporting government sponsors. The position is in the Applied Embedded Systems Division (AES) of the Electronic Systems Laboratory (ELSYS). AES is predominantly focused on the research, development, testing, and deployment of embedded electronic and electromechanical systems in the fields of Electronic Warfare (EW), command and control, communications, avionics, physiological monitoring, entertainment, and industrial controls. AES sponsors include the armed forces, major defense contractors, and Fortune 100 industrial companies.
- Develop software and firmware for safety-critical avionics systems
- Develop software interfaces between various embedded modules and systems
- Support optimization of software for running on specific targets/platforms
- Support translation of system requirements into software requirements and design
- Develop prototypes and proof-of-concept implementations to inform program/architecture decisions
- Collaborate with a multi-disciplinary engineering team to build innovative avionics systems
- Review/produce technical documentation, designs, and data
- Produce technical reports and presentations and present them to stakeholders
- Perform other duties as assigned
Education & Length of Experience
Research Engineer/Scientist/Technologist I
- A Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information Systems, Mathematics, Electrical Engineering, or other science and engineering degrees.
Research Engineer/Scientist/Technologist II
- A Master’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information Systems, Mathematics, Electrical Engineering, or other science and engineering degrees and three (3) years of relevant full-time experience after completion of that degree,
- A Master’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information Systems, Mathematics, Electrical Engineering, or other science and engineering degrees and five (5) years of relevant full-time experience after completion of a Bachelor’s degree, or
- A Doctoral degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information Systems, Mathematics, Electrical Engineering, or other science and engineering degrees.
Candidates currently enrolled in an accredited Bachelor's degree with a graduation date of May 2021 and skills relevant to this position will be considered
Required Minimum Qualifications
- Experience with software version control tools and best practices, i.e., Git
- Experience with embedded software programming languages, i.e., C/C++
- Experience developing on/for Windows and Linux operating systems
- Experience with toolchains for embedded development
- Experience with development/integration of software/firmware for avionics systems on military aircraft
- Experience with programming in Ada
- Experience with infrastructure automation tools/platforms, i.e., Jenkins, Ansible
- Experience with DO-178 standard, airworthiness certification (MIL-HDBK-516), and reliability analysis.
U.S. Citizenship Requirements
Due to our research contracts with the US federal government, candidates for this position are required to be US Citizens.
Clearance Type Required
Candidates must be able to obtain and maintain an active security clearance.
Benefits at GTRI
Comprehensive information on currently offered GTRI benefits, including Health & Welfare, Retirement Plans, Tuition Reimbursement, Time Off, and Professional Development, can be found through this link: https://hr.gatech.edu/benefits
Diversity & Inclusion
Diversity & Inclusion (D&I) at Georgia Tech Research Institute aims to enhance the Institute’s mission of solving the world’s most complex technical problems by creating a workforce with a shared appreciation for diversity, raising awareness around inclusiveness, and fostering a sense of belonging and appreciation for all members of our community.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Georgia Tech Research Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees. Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law.
Back Submit Resume