The Georgia Tech Research Institute (GTRI) is searching for an experienced leader and established researcher to serve as an Associate Division Chief for the Secure Information Systems Division (SIS) of the Cybersecurity, Information Protection, and Hardware Evaluation Research Laboratory (CIPHER). SIS has approximately 95 full-time researchers working in computer science and related engineering disciplines. Core research areas currently include: multi-level security, secure web-application development, secure databases, secure Linux, secure network architectures, and secure virtualization and cloud environments.
The Associate Division Chief assists the Division Chief in all aspects of the direction and operation of the Division, specializing in outreach and communication within the Division. The Associate Division Chief is primarily responsible for the ongoing communications within the Division (oversight of budgets, projects, and resources) and is expected to maintain an active research portfolio. The Associate Division Chief also provides oversight for the administrative functions of the Division, personnel matters within the Division, compliance to policies and procedures, and is responsible for the Division interface to major GTRI support units, including Research Security, Accounting and Finance, Talent Management, and Sponsored Project Support.
Qualified applicants will possess an M.S. or a Ph.D. and 4+ years of experience in the core research areas of the division or in a complementary technical domain. Successful applicants will have significant demonstrated experience in business development, program management, and personnel management. The position is based in Atlanta, GA on Georgia Tech’s main campus. Travel is required for presenting research, developing business, and meeting with sponsors and collaborators.
It is expected that the responsibilities of this position will be 50% time, with the other 50% coverage coming from externally funded research programs.
- Leads or contributes to sponsored research projects;
- Ensures execution to budget targets and compliance to policies;
- Assists with personnel management activities such as tracking project coverage, performance evaluation, and mentoring division research staff;
- Contributes to recruiting strategies, hiring decisions, and assists with the hiring process.
- Sustains Division’s research enterprise; Identify new funding initiatives and opportunities; Cultivate and create strategic alliances with potential external sponsors;
- Assists with overseeing Division facilities, including facilities improvements decisions, space usage decisions, and overhead budgets;
- Promotes Division’s mission and capabilities to government and industry research sponsors, academic colleagues and peers, and government officials and policymakers;
- Assists and advises researchers with proposal development, budgeting, submission, and post-award project status tracking;
- Develops operational plans and other Division-level plans and documents;
- Facilitates continuous Division communications strategies, including conducting regular Division meetings, posting announcements through Slack and email, and maintaining Division wiki pages;
- Promotes career development of Division employees including coordinating professional development opportunities;
- Contributes to efforts to boost and maintain morale within the Division;
- Mentors Branch Heads and Group Leads.
10% - 25% travel
Education & Length of Experience
Research Engineer/Scientist/Technologist/Associate II
- A Master’s degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Management, or related degree and three (3) years of relevant full-time experience after completion of that degree,
- A Master’s degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Management, or related degree and five (5) years of relevant full-time experience after completion of a Bachelor’s degree, or
- A Doctoral degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Management, or related degree.
Senior Research Engineer/Scientist/Technologist/Associate
- A Master’s degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Management, or related degree and seven (7) years of relevant full-time experience after completion of that degree,
- A Master’s degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Management, or related degree and nine (9) years of relevant full-time experience after completion of a Bachelor’s degree, or
- A Doctoral degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Management, or related degree and four (4) years of relevant full-time experience after completion of a Bachelor's degree.
Required Minimum Qualifications
- M.S. or Ph.D. and 4+ years of experience in cybersecurity research;
- Experience in leading research projects and managing researchers;
- Successful proposal development, project leadership, and group leadership.
- Exceptional communication skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Approachable, team player, with strong interpersonal skills
- Experience motivating teams
- Proactive management of personnel
- Experience managing a diverse group of employees
- Ability to provide guidance and training
U.S. Citizenship Requirements
Due to our research contracts with the US federal government, candidates for this position are required to be US Citizens.
Clearance Type Required
Candidates must be able to obtain and maintain an active security clearance.
Benefits at GTRI
Comprehensive information on currently offered GTRI benefits including Health & Welfare, Retirement Plans, Tuition Reimbursement, Time Off, and Professional Development, can be found through this link: https://hr.gatech.edu/benefits
Diversity & Inclusion
Diversity & Inclusion (D&I) at Georgia Tech Research Institute aims to enhance the Institute’s mission of solving the world’s most complex technical problems by creating a workforce with a shared appreciation for diversity, raising awareness around inclusiveness, and fostering a sense of belonging and appreciation for all members of our community.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Georgia Tech Research Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees. Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law.