The Optical Scientist/Engineer II/Sr in the Electro-Optical Systems Innovation Division (EOSID) leverages knowledge and skills from the fields of optical sciences and optics manufacturing to research, design, model, analyze, assemble, integrate, and test complex EO-IR systems for applications in imaging, remote sensing, and telecommunications. The optical scientist/engineer gathers system requirements and translates them into optical specifications, tolerances, and error budgets based on performance/capability objectives and system lifecycle.
The optical scientist/engineer is responsible for deriving requirements which reflect environmental and platform challenges and constraints such as temperature, vibration, shock, humidity, etc. In addition, the optical scientist/engineer must be able to perform sensitivity analysis, link budgets/radiometry, pointing stability, and stray light analysis through leveraging modeling and simulation tools that enable an analysis of alternatives and trades studies activities. The optical scientist/engineer determines sources for commercial and custom optical components including lenses, mirrors, holographic optical elements, mounts, lasers, fiber-optics, adaptive optical elements, optical scanners, and metrology equipment. The optical scientist/engineer designs end-to-end optical layouts, optical alignment procedures, and characterization procedures in support of implementation into final systems.
EOSID specializes in the complete optical imaging and remote sensing chain, from the analysis, design, development, integration, test and evaluation of imaging and sensing systems, to the processing, exploitation, and visualization of data and imagery. EOSID also specializes in modeling and simulation (M&S) of high-energy laser (HEL) propagation, engagements, and effects. EOSID makes critical contributions to national defense in the domains of Intelligence, Surveillance, Target Acquisition, and Reconnaissance (ISTAR), directed energy (DE), and undersea warfare (USW).
- Independently layout novel optical designs based on innovative optical components and materials, or based on new techniques described in literature
- Develops novel solutions to complex problems and pursues internal/external funding to support research & development
- Leads small-medium sized teams that may feature members with varying areas of expertise in executing tasks and projects
- Responsible for contributing essential content/material for project deliverables and/or leading the development of specific deliverables
- Manages schedule and budget for tasks and projects
- Leads development of white papers and proposals
- Document work in memorandums, sponsor briefs, conference proceedings, and journal articles
- Develop and present technical presentations for senior leadership, sponsors, and other stakeholders
- Support field integration, data collection, and other testing activities at test sites and research/laboratory facilities
- Participate in business development efforts by contributing to white papers, Request for Information and Request for Proposal (RFI/RFP) responses, sponsor briefs, and by proposing new research areas suitable for internal research and development (IR&D) funding
- Perform other duties as assigned
Education & Length of Experience
Research Engineer/Scientist II
- A Master’s degree in Optical Engineering, Optical Sciences, Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Physics, Mathematics, or related technical field and three (3) years of relevant full-time experience after completion of that degree,
- A Master’s degree in Optical Engineering, Optical Sciences, Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Physics, Mathematics, or related technical field and five (5) years of relevant full-time experience after completion of a Bachelor’s degree, or
- A Doctoral degree in Optical Engineering, Optical Sciences, Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Physics, Mathematics, or related technical field.
Senior Research Engineer/Scientist
- A Master’s degree in Optical Engineering, Optical Sciences, Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Physics, Mathematics, or related technical field and seven (7) years of relevant full-time experience after completion of that degree,
- A Master’s degree in Optical Engineering, Optical Sciences, Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Physics, Mathematics, or related technical field and nine (9) years of relevant full-time experience after completion of a Bachelor’s degree, or
- A Doctoral degree in Optical Engineering, Optical Sciences, Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Physics, Mathematics, or related technical field and four (4) years of relevant full-time experience after completion of a Bachelor's degree.
Required Minimum Qualifications
- Candidates currently enrolled in an accredited Master's or Doctoral degree program relevant to this position will be considered
- Experience with optical design and analysis including optical subsystem assembly and alignment
- Experience with detector technologies (i.e., Focal-Plane Arrays (FPAs), Avalanche Photo Diodes (APDs), Photomultplier Tubes (PMTs))
- Experience with Electro-Optical/Infrared (EO/IR) imaging systems and electro-optical signal processing
- Experience with optical analysis (radiometry, stray-light, sensitivity, link budget, error budget, pointing stability, etc.)
- Active Department of Defense (DoD) security clearance
- Experience with Fourier optics
- Experience with LIDAR (i.e., topographic, bathymetric, atmospheric)
- Experience with Coherent optical techniques (i.e., interferometry, vibrometry, holography, Optical Coherence Tomography (OCT))
- Experience with Hyperspectral Imaging (HSI)
- Experience with Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing (GD&T) and manufacturing of both optics and machined components
- Experience with Zemax or similar Free Space Optics (FSO) design/analytical software
- Experience operating laboratory equipment such as oscilloscopes, spectrum analyzers, and/or data acquisition hardware/software tools
- Experience with computational tools such as Matlab, Octave, and/or Interactive Data Language (IDL)
- Experience with one or more programming languages such as Python and/or C++
U.S. Citizenship Requirements
Due to our research contracts with the US federal government, candidates for this position are required to be US Citizens.
Clearance Type Required
Candidates must be able to obtain and maintain an active security clearance.
Safer Federal Workforce Executive Order
Presidential Executive Order 14042 requires most federal contractors, including federal contractors within the University System of Georgia, to comply with Covid-19 guidance from the Safer Federal Workforce Task Force (“Task Force”). Georgia Tech must ensure that all employees covered under the Executive Order (“covered employees”), including those working remotely in the United States, are fully vaccinated by January 19, 2022, or by their first day of work in a covered role.
This position is covered by the Executive Order. Accommodations or exemptions for medical conditions can be requested by individuals who would otherwise be covered but have a disability, medical condition, or sincerely held religious belief, practice, or observance.
Details of the order can be found here.
Benefits at GTRI
Comprehensive information on currently offered GTRI benefits, including Health & Welfare, Retirement Plans, Tuition Reimbursement, Time Off, and Professional Development, can be found through this link: https://hr.gatech.edu/benefits
Diversity & Inclusion
Diversity & Inclusion (D&I) at Georgia Tech Research Institute aims to enhance the Institute’s mission of solving the world’s most complex technical problems by creating a workforce with a shared appreciation for diversity, raising awareness around inclusiveness, and fostering a sense of belonging and appreciation for all members of our community.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Georgia Tech Research Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees. Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law.