Avionics Systems Engineer (Experienced) -- ELSYS
Location: Atlanta, GA
Categories: Aeronautics, Algorithm Development, System Architecture, Embedded Systems, Human Factors, Electronic Warfare, Instrumentation, Modeling/Simulation, System Engineering, Testing, Aerospace, Countermeasures, Aircraft, Avionics, Autonomous Systems, Threat Systems
The Avionics System Engineer in the Electronic Systems Laboratory (ELSYS) Electronic Systems Integration Division (ESID) supports system integration and software development projects for Department of Defense (DoD) manned and unmanned aircraft improvement programs. Additionally, this position is responsible for task and team leadership, including mentoring junior engineers in Avionics Systems Engineering and supporting division-level technical strategy. The Electronic Systems Laboratory (ELSYS) Electronic Systems Integration Division (ESID) researches military aircraft specializing in avionics, electronic warfare, autonomous systems, and tactical communication/datalink systems. The ESID team's engineering roles include Applied Systems Engineering, Datalink Engineering, Embedded Software, Enterprise Software, Augmented/Virtual Reality, and Test Engineering.
- Lead small to mid-sized technical tasks and/or teams
- Support development of division technical strategies
- Represent the division both internally and externally in technical focus areas regarding sponsored research
- Support division business development
- Develop, decompose and allocate sponsor requirements into system requirements and designs describing the architecture structure, allocation of behavior, and data interfaces to hardware and software components
- Integrate new capabilities and subsystems into military systems, including the design of inter-software interfaces, inter-subsystem interfaces (e.g., data, interconnects), aircraft to subsystem integration, pilot vehicle interface, and test/instrumentation systems integration.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to develop technical solutions for our DoD sponsors ensuring all products meet allocated requirements and design
- Serve as a technical expert on assigned projects and systems to include keeping up-to-date on use models, system capabilities, system interfaces, engineering tools, and road maps for current and future updates
- Utilize technical expertise to advocate customer's position to the broader development community
- Manage product backlog and system deficiency reports
- Use system specifications, interface definitions, and aircraft drawings in the development of solutions
- Integrate system components and support equipment in laboratory and field settings
- Isolate hardware and software component anomalies
- Analyze flight and laboratory data to ensure system requirements are satisfied
- Ensure that all technical work is developed to meet military, safety, and security standards
- Design and manage the laboratory configurations for assigned projects
- Perform other duties as assigned
Education & Length of Experience
Senior Research Engineer/Scientist
- A Bachelor’s and Master's degree with one or both in Aerospace, Systems, Computer, or Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Physics, Mathematics or related technical field and seven (7) years of relevant full-time experience after completion of that degree,
- A Bachelor’s and Master's degree with one or both in Aerospace, Systems, Computer, or Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Physics, Mathematics or related technical field and nine (9) years of relevant full-time experience after completion of a Bachelor’s degree, or
- A Doctoral degree and Master's degree with one or both in Aerospace, Systems, Computer, or Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Physics, Mathematics, or related technical field and four (4) years of relevant full-time experience after completion of a Bachelor's degree.
Principal Research Engineer/Scientist
- A Bachelor’s and Master's degree with one or both in Aerospace, Systems, Computer, or Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Physics, Mathematics or related technical field and eleven (11) years of relevant full-time experience, or
- A Doctoral degree and Master's degree with one or both in Aerospace, Systems, Computer, or Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Physics, Mathematics, or related technical field and seven (7) years of relevant full-time experience.
Required Minimum Qualifications
- 7+ years of applicable full-time experience in a technical field
- Experience developing complex software-intensive military or avionics systems using system engineering processes and methodologies
- Experience designing and developing software-based systems that integrate multiple subsystems and/or integrate multiple software applications and hardware
- Experience integrating and troubleshooting systems to determine functional correctness, completeness, and/or effectiveness
- Candidates without a masters degree but with more than 10 years of experience may be considered
- Experience technically leading multi-disciplined (System Engineers, Software Engineers, Test Engineer) project teams
- Experience developing system design for Electronic Warfare systems
- Experience processing and analyzing data with tools such as Python or R
- Experience with avionic data buses (e.g., MIL-STD-1553, ARINC 429, Ethernet, RS-422, etc.), tactical data links (e.g., Link-16), military radios, and open systems architecture frameworks (e.g., FACETM)
- Experience using Model-Based System Engineering (SysML) to design systems (e.g., use cases, behavior, interfaces, data models); Additional DoDAF experience is a plus.
- Experience working in a full-lifecycle agile and/or digital engineering environment
- Experience supporting field tests to troubleshoot and solve problems.
- Experience designing secure and safe system solutions
- Active DoD SECRET clearance
U.S. Citizenship Requirements
Due to our research contracts with the US federal government, candidates for this position are required to be US Citizens.
Clearance Type Required
Candidates must be able to obtain and maintain an active security clearance.
Safer Federal Workforce Executive Order
Presidential Executive Order 14042 requires most federal contractors, including federal contractors within the University System of Georgia, to comply with Covid-19 guidance from the Safer Federal Workforce Task Force (“Task Force”). Georgia Tech must ensure that all employees covered under the Executive Order (“covered employees”), including those working remotely in the United States, are fully vaccinated by January 19, 2022, or by their first day of work in a covered role.
This position is covered by the Executive Order. Accommodations or exemptions for medical conditions can be requested by individuals who would otherwise be covered but have a disability, medical condition, or sincerely held religious belief, practice, or observance.
Details of the order can be found here.
Benefits at GTRI
Comprehensive information on currently offered GTRI benefits, including Health & Welfare, Retirement Plans, Tuition Reimbursement, Time Off, and Professional Development, can be found through this link: https://hr.gatech.edu/benefits
Diversity & Inclusion
Diversity & Inclusion (D&I) at Georgia Tech Research Institute aims to enhance the Institute’s mission of solving the world’s most complex technical problems by creating a workforce with a shared appreciation for diversity, raising awareness around inclusiveness, and fostering a sense of belonging and appreciation for all members of our community.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Georgia Tech Research Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees. Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law.
Back Submit Resume