Software Engineer (Experienced) - SEAL - Open Rank
Location: Atlanta, GA, Smyrna, GA
Categories: Algorithm Development, System Architecture, Artificial Intelligence, Embedded Systems, High Performance Computing, Human Factors, Electronic Warfare, Information Technology, Machine Learning, Modeling/Simulation, Radar, Robotics/Automated Systems, Sensors Integration, Signal Processing, Software Development/Design, Testing, Sensors/Optics, Autonomous Systems, ISR & Tactical Systems
The Sensors and Electromagnetic Applications Laboratory (SEAL) of the Georgia Tech Research Institute (GTRI) is seeking technical personnel to be part of an established software team that has multiple opportunities for software engineers within the Software Engineering and Architecture Division (SEAD) at Smyrna, GA. The SEAD group mission is to provide world-class software to be used in sensors, signal processing, electronic warfare, tracking, and intelligence surveillance reconnaissance (ISR) systems deployed on land, air and sea. Our software team employs a modern software engineering process to design, code, integrate and test capabilities on a continuous basis resulting in a mature and quality solution for our customers. We strive for technical excellence by drawing upon a diverse workforce whose knowledge base covers the complete spectrum of modern computing languages and platforms.
The successful candidates will be involved in the software design, development, integration and testing of real-time systems and work as a key interface with the hardware and Government contractors' engineers. Our real-time software applications are developed using C and C++ and our data analysis software utilizes C++ in a Linux environment. SEAD utilizes productive modern (Agile) and industry-proven software development processes and environments. The candidate is required to have knowledge of and lead projects using Scrums and Sprints.
The candidate will be responsible for leading software architecture, design and development of sensor-related real-time applications. The candidate will also lead and mentor junior engineers in the development of our quality, efficient and open software products.
In general, a Software Engineer designs, develops, and tests software; additionally manages software development teams, provides technical leadership, establishes software development lifecycle practices and processes. The Software Engineer is proficient in programming languages such as Java, C, C++, Ruby, Python, Scala, and Groovy. Requires extensive knowledge of programming languages, software development, computer operating systems, continuous integration, continuous delivery, DevOps, API development, container development, and distributed systems. Applies engineering principles to software creation, managing production releases of software, performing code reviews, merging feature development branches, and analyzing and triaging issues. Necessary skill areas: Programming and coding, fundamentals of computer science, design and architecture, algorithms and data structures, information analysis, debugging software, testing software, and working in development teams. Works with sponsors to curate requirements, define sprint work items, set priorities for work backlogs, and organize development teams.
- Perform software development, software debugging, software modification / enhancement, and software documentation.
- Develop and maintain kernel and user-level software and scripts.
- Contribute to technical reports and presentations.
Required Minimum Qualifications
- Experience with C and C++
- Experience with Linux or Windows
- Experience in software engineering and development
- Knowledgeable in version control software such as GIT
- Knowledgeable in JIRA, Bitbucket and Confluence
- Experience in the technical management of software engineers
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Self-starter and ability to work in a team environment
- Active Secret Clearance
- Knowledge of computer architectures including multi-core environments
- Familiarity with software applications requiring multi-threaded programming implementation
- Complex programs that involved hardware, software, communications and networking
- Existing secret clearance, or the ability to obtain an interim clearance within 180 days and full clearance thereafter
- Experience with Object-Oriented Design Knowledge including UML
10% - 25% travel
Education and Length of Experience
This position vacancy is an open-rank announcement. The final job offer will be dependent on candidate qualifications in alignment with Research Faculty Extension Professional ranks as outlined in section 3.2.1 of the Georgia Tech Faculty Handbook
- 14 years of related experience with a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, or related field of study
- 12 years of related experience with a Master’s degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, or related field of study
- 9 years of related experience with a Ph.D. in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, or related field of study
U.S. Citizenship Requirements
Due to our research contracts with the U.S. federal government, candidates for this position must be U.S. Citizens.
Clearance Type Required
Candidates must be able to obtain and maintain an active security clearance.
Benefits at GTRI
Comprehensive information on currently offered GTRI benefits, including Health & Welfare, Retirement Plans, Tuition Reimbursement, Time Off, and Professional Development, can be found through this link: https://hr.gatech.edu/benefits
Diversity & Inclusion
Diversity & Inclusion (D&I) at Georgia Tech Research Institute aims to enhance the Institute’s mission of solving the world’s most complex technical problems by creating a workforce with a shared appreciation for diversity, raising awareness around inclusiveness, and fostering a sense of belonging and appreciation for all members of our community.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Georgia Tech Research Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees. Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law.
Back Submit Resume