Embedded System Security Engineer -CIPHER
Location: Atlanta, GA
Categories: Cybersecurity, Embedded Systems, Hardware Development/Design, Electronic Warfare, Networking, RF, Avionics, ISR & Tactical Systems, Threat Systems, Undersea Systems
Candidate will support projects based on their expertise and experience.
The Embedded System Security Engineer will join an established team of experts in the vulnerability assessment of cyber physical systems. Performs firmware extraction, reverse engineering and vulnerability assessments of firmware running on embedded communications and cyber physical systems. Performs static and dynamic analysis of software/firmware using de-compiler tools for identification of system technical operating characteristics to reverse engineer system functionality, characterize protocols and interfaces, while identifying potential vulnerabilities. Researches, develops and uses existing side-channel analysis methods, such as clock and power glitching. Develops and demonstrates exploitation methods against identified vulnerabilities.
- Assist in static and dynamic analysis of software/firmware components of embedded systems to determine software capabilities and to discover unknown vulnerabilities
- Assist with demonstration of techniques to gain unauthorized access to and/or exploit information networks. Demonstrate mitigation techniques to protect systems.
- Assist in the development of software analysis tools
- Research capabilities, implementation methods and security features of device under test to help in determining software functionality and potential weaknesses. Commonly evaluated devices include communications devices (radios, modems, routers), ICS and IoT devices.
- Contribute to technical reports and presentations
- Assist in development and use of virtual and emulation environments for executing software under
Required Minimum Qualifications
- Candidates currently enrolled in an accredited degree program relevant to this position will be considered.
- Active Top Secret Clearance
- Exceptional problem solving skills
- Experience with disassemblers such as Ghidra and Ida
- Experience developing plugins for disassemblers
- Experience with capture the flag events
- Experience with firmware/software reverse engineering
- Experience with hardware reverse engineering
- Experience in 1 or more programming languages
- Experience developing embedded systems
- Experience with PCB level communication buses (SPI, I2C, Etc)
- Experience with software defined radios
- Experience with debuggers
- Black box testing
- Experience with dynamic/static analysis and fuzzing
- Knowledge of side-channel attack vectors, including transient execution and physical attacks.
- Experience with JTAG/ChipWhisperer
- Ability to learn complex engineering concepts
- Ability to clearly communicate technical ideas
- Highly motivated and self-driven person with deep interest in understanding and exploring end-to-end wireless attacks.
Education and Length of Experience
This position vacancy is an open-rank announcement. The final job offer will be dependent on candidate qualifications in alignment with Research Faculty Extension Professional ranks as outlined in section 3.2.1 of the Georgia Tech Faculty Handbook
- 0 years of related experience with a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Engineering Electrical Engineering Computer Science Cyber Security or related field.
U.S. Citizenship Requirements
Due to our research contracts with the U.S. federal government, candidates for this position must be U.S. Citizens.
Clearance Type Required
Candidates must be able to obtain and maintain an active security clearance.
Benefits at GTRI
Comprehensive information on currently offered GTRI benefits, including Health & Welfare, Retirement Plans, Tuition Reimbursement, Time Off, and Professional Development, can be found through this link: https://hr.gatech.edu/benefits
Diversity & Inclusion
Diversity & Inclusion (D&I) at Georgia Tech Research Institute aims to enhance the Institute’s mission of solving the world’s most complex technical problems by creating a workforce with a shared appreciation for diversity, raising awareness around inclusiveness, and fostering a sense of belonging and appreciation for all members of our community.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Georgia Tech Research Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees. Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law.
Back Submit Resume