DevOps Engineer - Tucson, AZ - ELSYS
Location: Tucson, AZ
Categories: System Architecture, Cybersecurity, High Performance Computing, Information Technology, Networking, Software Development/Design, System Engineering
The DevOps and Product Support Engineer position in the Applied Embedded Systems (AES) division of the Electronic Systems Laboratory (ELSYS) will support multiple research products and projects in concert with development teams who are building complex, multi-faceted embedded and electronic systems. AES is predominantly focused on the research, development, testing, and deployment of embedded electronic and electromechanical systems. These systems provide our sponsors with technological solutions in the fields of Electronic Warfare (EW), command and control, communications, avionics, entertainment, physiological monitoring, and other applications.
IT DevOps Engineers have an understanding of software development (Dev) and IT operations (Ops) culture, are proficient in scaling automation and have a passion for continuous improvement in operational capability. They enhance a development team by supporting and advancing a robust Continuous Integration/Continuous Delivery (CI/CD) framework across development, integration, test and release environments. Responsibilities include supporting code releases, managing IT infrastructure needed to support code development in dedicated or cloud environments, selecting of deployment models, and overseeing the direction of testing to validate release and monitoring performance after release. Additionally, these engineers prepare test data, analyze results, troubleshoot problems, and communicate issues to the development team. The DevOps Engineers will have an understanding of programs such as Puppet, Chef, ThreatModeler, Checkmarx, Immunio and Aqua. They may also need to know Kubernetes, Docker or AWS and have knowledge of threat modeling and risk assessment techniques.
- Develop infrastructure as code in environments using state of the art DevOps solutions
- Research, configure, administer and maintain CI/CD pipelines for various programs
- Support automation efforts across the development lifecycle and across different research programs
- Develop and maintain DevOps code using ansible, git, AWS, and many other technologies
- Design and test user stories and test cases
- Act as code reviewer to ensure coding best practices
- Work with sponsor organizations to provide CI/CD pipelines to organic government software development organizations such as Software Factories
- Apply specific understanding of DevOps culture and software release processes to configure workflow utilities such as the Atlassian suite to facilitate agile development and appropriate configuration management
- Automate build processes, security inspection, and delivery with a goal of accelerating software delivery to quickly address vulnerabilities and maximize sponsor value
- Serve as a Subject Matter Expert (SME) for specific software delivery utilities for the purpose of mentoring others, establishing capabilities on new programs, and affecting the development culture of an organization
- Administer a software artifact repository (Nexus)
- Serve as an SME for building tools, such as Gradle and Maven
- Develop and document processes for software library releases and versioning across division projects
- Develop Gradle build configurations for varied web application projects
- Consult with projects to develop Git source code branching and versioning processes
- Oversee code releases and delivery of release artifacts
- Build, manage, and maintain CI/CD pipelines
- Manage IT infrastructure needed to support software code development in dedicated or cloud environments
- Direct and support testing to validate release, and monitor performance after the release
- Troubleshoot problems, and communicate issues back to the development team
- Assist with the development and internalize software engineering/development best practices
- Research and stay up to date on the latest Department of Defense (DoD) and non-DoD software modernization technologies
- Work as part of a multi-disciplinary team on large, complex development efforts
- Develop technical papers for conferences and develop/present briefings to potential sponsors
- Perform other duties as assigned
Required Minimum Qualifications
- Experience with programming/scripting languages (e.g. Python, C/C++, C#, Java, and Rust, etc.)
- Experience with software version control tools and best practices (e.g. Git)
- Experience developing on/for Windows and Linux operating systems
- Active Secret Clearance
- Experience developing software applications using DoD DevSecOps Enterprise Services (e.g. Platform One)
- Experience using container-based orchestration systems for software deployment (e.g. Kubernetes, Docker Swarm, etc.)
- Familiarity with software development and collaboration tools such as GitLab and Atlassian
- Experience working with automated testing systems
- Experience working with CI/CD pipelines
Education and Length of Experience
This position vacancy is an open-rank announcement. The final job offer will be dependent on candidate qualifications in alignment with Research Faculty Extension Professional ranks as outlined in section 3.2.1 of the Georgia Tech Faculty Handbook
- 5 years of related experience with a Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Mechanical Engineering, Mechatronics, Mathematics, Physics or other relevant Engineering or Science degrees.
- 3 years of related experience with a Bachelor's and Masters’ degree with one or both in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Mechanical Engineering, Mechatronics, Mathematics, Physics or other relevant Engineering or Science degrees.
- 0 years of related experience with a Bachelor's, Master's and Ph.D. in Bachelor’s degree with one or all in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Mechanical Engineering, Mechatronics, Mathematics, Physics or other relevant Engineering or Science degrees.
U.S. Citizenship Requirements
Due to our research contracts with the U.S. federal government, candidates for this position must be U.S. Citizens.
Clearance Type Required
Candidates must be able to obtain and maintain an active security clearance.
Benefits at GTRI
Comprehensive information on currently offered GTRI benefits, including Health & Welfare, Retirement Plans, Tuition Reimbursement, Time Off, and Professional Development, can be found through this link: https://hr.gatech.edu/benefits
Diversity & Inclusion
Diversity & Inclusion (D&I) at Georgia Tech Research Institute aims to enhance the Institute’s mission of solving the world’s most complex technical problems by creating a workforce with a shared appreciation for diversity, raising awareness around inclusiveness, and fostering a sense of belonging and appreciation for all members of our community.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Georgia Tech Research Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees. Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law.
Back Submit Resume