GTRI’s Signals and Systems Division (SASD) in the Advanced Concepts Laboratory seeks qualified candidates for the position of a Model Based Systems Engineer. This position involves applying model based systems engineering (MBSE) to challenging real-world problems related to national defense.
The candidate will apply MBSE concepts to a variety of different national defense projects, often focused on the defense technologies of the future. The candidate will work in and sometimes lead an interdisciplinary team with modeling and simulation engineers, operations analysts, people with experience in military or intelligence operations and analysis, physicists, mathematicians, and people from government organizations, other universities, or industry partners.
SASD consists of a staff of research professionals engaged in a portfolio of research related to next-generation aerospace technology analysis and innovation, including RF/EO/IR sensor physics, signal processing algorithms and techniques, EM maneuver warfare, effects-based modeling and simulation, verification and validation, advanced threat analysis, and operations research/developmental planning. ACL develops tailored solutions for a broad range of national security challenges through disciplined application of physics- and effects-based modeling to realizable systems, augmented with prototype development and testing. ACL’s research thrusts extend across domains, and include bio-, chemical-, RF-, and optical-sensor physics; materials science and engineering; electromagnetic theory, computation, structures, and measurements; electronic warfare techniques and applications; operational scenario modeling and simulation; traditional and asymmetric threat analysis; and ground maneuver warfare.
Model-based Systems Engineers (MBSE) develop and execute novel system model-based approaches to define, design, analyze, and document system development. Applies MBSE tool suites to enable the use of model-based best practices in DoD acquisition and system life cycle support. Supports stakeholders and sponsors in the application of MBSE to tradespace analysis, design, and acquisition. Executes SE and MBSE processes including system definition, functional decomposition, requirements development, architectural development and analysis, design synthesis, system analysis, data modeling and architecture development, and test program development. Presents technical and program management presentations to government sponsors.
- Identify new opportunities of research in MBSE and digital engineering, to support stakeholders overall adoption
- Contribute to overall community's knowledge through publishing, presenting, and participating in national societies and symposia.
- Lead development of novel ideas in MBSE and related disciplines
- Manage all technical aspects of product or system design including directing multiple lab resources for large scale product or system deployments.
- Manage sub-contractor resources supporting all system engineering areas (definition, requirements analysis, synthesis, systems analysis and implementation).
- Conduct product or system design synthesis translating requirements into physical architectures for systems of high complexity. Define/refine internal and external interfaces.
- Lead development of technical reports and diagrams detailing product or system attributes.
- Helps set research and development priorities.
- Advise senior government and industry stakeholders in strategy related to MBSE and Digital Engineering
- Ensure adequate quality and best practices are applied across MBSE teams and portfolios
- Lead technical projects focused on systems engineering and model-based systems engineering
- Capture external funding for future projects that include systems engineering and model-based systems engineering
- Support analysis of alternatives
- Evaluate system of systems interactions
- Characterize and model risks
- Support definition of system evaluations and analysis of evaluation results
Required Minimum Qualifications
- Candidates currently enrolled in an accredited degree program relevant to this position will be considered. The candidate must have a graduation date of no later than December, 2022
- MS or Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering, Physics, Mathematics, Aerospace Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Systems Engineering, or related discipline.
- Excellent technical skills, including data analysis and analysis of complex problems
- Experience with at least one MBSE language or framework (e.g., SysML, DoDAF) and at least one specialized MBSE software package (e.g., Cameo System Modeler)
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral, are critical as work often informs thinking at the top-levels of the military and intelligence communities
- Active TS/SCI Clearance
- Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering, Physics, Mathematics, Aerospace Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Systems Engineering, or related discipline.
- Experience with SysML
- Experience with DoDAF
- Experience using Cameo Systems Modeler and associated plug-ins from No Magic, Inc.
- Experience with software, hardware, or firmware engineering and design
- OMG-Certified Systems Modeling Professional TM (OCSMPTM) Certification (any level)
- INCOSE Systems Engineering Professional (SEP) at any level (ASEP, CSEP, ESEP)
- Technical leadership experience
- Business development (including proposal writing) experience
- Knowledge of and experience performing systems engineering tasks across multiple life cycle stages to include concept, development, production, operations, maintenance, and disposal
- Experience with multiple systems engineering activities including: requirements definition and management, architecture development and synthesis, systems integration, systems evaluation, and systems verification and validation
- Experience with multiple development methodologies, including Agile engineering and DevSecOps
- Experience with the definition, use, and test of open architectures (e.g., OMS, FACE, SOSA)
- Experience with operations research techniques, formal design of experiments methodologies, and machine learning techniques/artificial intelligence
- Experience working with defense systems and defense systems of systems
- Experience with military or intelligence operations
- Experience or expertise in one or more of the following domain areas:
- (1) aerospace systems
- (2) EO/IR or radar for air and ground based applications
- (3) electronic warfare techniques
- (4) current and future kill chains
- (5) intelligence gathering and analysis.
10% - 25% travel
Education and Length of Experience
This position vacancy is an open-rank announcement. The final job offer will be dependent on candidate qualifications in alignment with Research Faculty Extension Professional ranks as outlined in section 3.2.1 of the Georgia Tech Faculty Handbook
- 14 years of related experience with a Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Physics, Mathematics, Aerospace Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Systems Engineering, or related discipline.
- 12 years of related experience with a Masters’ degree in Electrical Engineering, Physics, Mathematics, Aerospace Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Systems Engineering, or related discipline.
- 9 years of related experience with a Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering, Physics, Mathematics, Aerospace Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Systems Engineering, or related discipline.
U.S. Citizenship Requirements
Due to our research contracts with the U.S. federal government, candidates for this position must be U.S. Citizens.
Clearance Type Required
Candidates must be able to obtain and maintain an active security clearance.
Benefits at GTRI
Comprehensive information on currently offered GTRI benefits, including Health & Welfare, Retirement Plans, Tuition Reimbursement, Time Off, and Professional Development, can be found through this link: https://hr.gatech.edu/benefits
Diversity & Inclusion
Diversity & Inclusion (D&I) at Georgia Tech Research Institute aims to enhance the Institute’s mission of solving the world’s most complex technical problems by creating a workforce with a shared appreciation for diversity, raising awareness around inclusiveness, and fostering a sense of belonging and appreciation for all members of our community.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Georgia Tech Research Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees. Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law.