The Rapid Software Applications Branch (RSAB) focuses on the development of commercial and DoD-related applications which employ modern software engineering practices to rapidly-produce software that meets complex user requirements. The branch specializes in adopting modern processes, tools and approaches to deliver high-value rapid prototypes and production-ready, high-impact systems alike. RSAB currently consists of approximately 15 branch members with diverse backgrounds in computer science, software engineering, systems engineering and test engineering.
RSAB is in the Applied Embedded Systems (AES) division of the Electronic Systems Laboratory (ELSYS) at GTRI. AES is predominantly focused on the research, development, testing, and deployment of embedded electronic and electromechanical systems. These systems provide our sponsors with technological solutions in the fields of Electronic Warfare (EW), command and control, communications, avionics, entertainment, physiological monitoring and other applications.
The Software Engineer (SE) will design, develop, and test software; additionally, the engineer will manage software development teams, provide technical leadership and establish software development lifecycle practices and processes. The Software Engineer should be proficient in programming languages such as Java, C, C++, Ruby, Python, Scala, and Groovy. This role will require extensive knowledge of programming languages, software development, computer operating systems, continuous integration, continuous delivery, DevOps, API development, container development, and distributed systems. The SE will apply engineering principles to software creation, manage production releases of software, perform code reviews, merge feature development branches, and analyze and triage issues. The necessary skill areas for this position are: programming and coding, fundamentals of computer science, design and architecture, algorithms and data structures, information analysis, debugging software, testing software, and working in development teams. In this position, the Software Engineer will work with sponsors to curate requirements, define sprint work items, set priorities for work backlogs, and organize development teams.
- Apply expertise in computing systems and software applications to software planning, requirements, and development activities.
- Base software structure and design on the recognized limitations of the hardware platform.
- Develop and maintain kernel and user-level software and scripts.
- Create and analyze network protocols.
Associate Branch Head Responsibilities - Support the Branch Head in the management of:
- Oversee and manage branch budgets, resources and compliance with institute policies and procedures
- Oversee and manage sponsored research in the branch to ensure the execution of successful research programs based on sponsor requirements
- Support branch operations and coordination across branches within the division and other laboratories of GTRI
- Establish, maintain and evolve the strategic vision and execution plan for the branch to enhance sponsored project portfolios and technical capabilities
- Train and mentor branch members including research faculty and both undergraduate and graduate students, to develop expertise in conducting research involving modern software engineering principles. These duties include facilitating the publication of novel research activities, professional development and training opportunities
- Direct business development activities to include: sponsor engagement, showcasing branch capabilities to internal and external organizations, support sponsor tours, visits and technical meetings
- Oversee, author, and contribute to proposals and white papers for sustained branch growth
- Conduct administrative actions including the recruitment, hiring and termination of branch personnel, execution of performance appraisals, development and execution of performance improvement plans and review and approval of employee time sheets
- Represent the division and laboratory as a subject matter expert at consortiums, symposiums, and expositions
- Ensure that all technical work is performed and documented to organizational and DoD standards-based on project requirements.
- Perform other duties as assigned
Required Minimum Qualifications
- 3+ years working in an Agile Scrum team
- 1+ years in a team leadership role with responsibilities including briefing plans/status to internal teams and external teams.
- Active Secret Clearance
- Supported the delivery of at least one fielded product
Education and Length of Experience
This position vacancy is an open-rank announcement. The final job offer will be dependent on candidate qualifications in alignment with Research Faculty Extension Professional ranks as outlined in section 3.2.1 of the Georgia Tech Faculty Handbook
- 5 years of related experience with a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering or a related technical field
- 3 years of related experience with a Bachelor’s and Master's degree with one or both in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering or a related technical field
- 0 years of related experience with a Bachelor's, Master's and Ph.D. with at least one in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering or a related technical field
U.S. Citizenship Requirements
Due to our research contracts with the U.S. federal government, candidates for this position must be U.S. Citizens.
Clearance Type Required
Candidates must be able to obtain and maintain an active security clearance.
Benefits at GTRI
Comprehensive information on currently offered GTRI benefits, including Health & Welfare, Retirement Plans, Tuition Reimbursement, Time Off, and Professional Development, can be found through this link: https://hr.gatech.edu/benefits
Diversity & Inclusion
Diversity & Inclusion (D&I) at Georgia Tech Research Institute aims to enhance the Institute’s mission of solving the world’s most complex technical problems by creating a workforce with a shared appreciation for diversity, raising awareness around inclusiveness, and fostering a sense of belonging and appreciation for all members of our community.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Georgia Tech Research Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees. Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law.