The Applied Systems Laboratory (ASL) of the Georgia Tech Research Institute (GTRI) is seeking experienced modeling and simulation engineers with a background in Modeling and Simulation report for distributed simulations, software in the loop simulation, hardware in the loop simulation of Aviation Mission Equipment. The M&S Engineer will be involved in projects ranging from sensor simulation to support degraded visual environment for rotorcraft to unmanned aircraft systems situational awareness management and communications relay.
The Modeling and Simulation (M&S) Engineer works closely with research, development, and testing teams to combine simulation modeling with data analytics in order to provide recommendations to optimize system designs in support of current and future research, development, and testing efforts. Specifically, the M&S Engineer is responsible for constructing computer simulation models, verifying and validating simulation models, performing simulation experiments to predict system behaviors, providing solutions to project stakeholders, and improving systems and processes. The M&S Engineer is familiar with important M&S concepts and techniques, constantly keeps abreast of new tool and language developments, and is familiar with a wide range of both open source and proprietary modeling and simulation tools, frameworks, and environments. These can include tools such as AFSIM, AnyLogic, Arena, ExtendSim, OpenFoam, OpenModelica, NetLogo, etc. In addition to tools, an M&S Engineer should be aware of many of the core M&S techniques – such as discrete event simulation, continuous simulation, agent-based modeling, distributed simulation, and conceptual modelling. At higher levels, the M&S Engineer/Specialist guides and conducts modeling, simulation, and analysis activities which includes eliciting requirements from stakeholders to support the design and implementation of M&S frameworks, computer simulation models, and simulation experiments. Furthermore, the M&S Engineer is responsible for ensuring that models and simulations are designed according to M&S best practices and standards as well as for flexibility to support future modeling needs and enhancements.
- Direct sponsor engagement and facilitate product or system requirements gathering and analysis.
- Develop critical M&S inputs, including framework definition, requirements analysis, synthesis, systems analysis and implementation.
- Conduct product or system design analysis translating requirements into valid models and experimental designs for systems of moderate complexity. Define/refine internal and external interfaces.
- Develop technical reports and diagrams detailing product or system attributes.
- Analyze product or system functionality as defined by requirements.
- Implement approaches that foster reusability of existing M&S expressions.
- The ideal candidate will be capable of working with hardware and software enabling components to integrate them into the simulation environment.
Required Minimum Qualifications
- Current SECRET Security Clearance or eligible to obtain one.
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering, computer engineering, software engineering, or computer science.
- Excellent skills and practice in programming with one or more software languages; C, C++, Python.
- Debugging skills and practice in the use of debugging tools.
- Experience in software integration and test, including unit test development.
- Very good communication skills in written and spoken English.
- Active Secret Clearance.
- Master's Degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering or Computer Science.
- Experience with Avionics, Avionics Interfaces., ARING-429, MIL-STD-1553.
- Experience with Unmanned Aircraft Systems, particularly familiarity and project experience with the PM UAS Interoperability Profiles.
- Experience with Modeling and Simulation in distributed simulations making use of DIS, VRSG, MetaVR.
- Experience with AF SIM.
- Ability to create and write plugins for the AFSIM environment or other.
- Experience with simulation of tactical radio comms.
Education and Length of Experience
This position vacancy is an open-rank announcement. The final job offer will be dependent on candidate qualifications in alignment with Research Faculty Extension Professional ranks as outlined in section 3.2.1 of the Georgia Tech Faculty Handbook
- 5 years of related experience with a Bachelors' degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, or Physics.
- 3 years of related experience with a Masters’ degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, or Physics.
- 0 years of related experience with a Ph.D. in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, or Physics.
U.S. Citizenship Requirements
Due to our research contracts with the U.S. federal government, candidates for this position must be U.S. Citizens.
Clearance Type Required
Candidates must be able to obtain and maintain an active security clearance.
Benefits at GTRI
Comprehensive information on currently offered GTRI benefits, including Health & Welfare, Retirement Plans, Tuition Reimbursement, Time Off, and Professional Development, can be found through this link: https://hr.gatech.edu/benefits
Diversity & Inclusion
Diversity & Inclusion (D&I) at Georgia Tech Research Institute aims to enhance the Institute’s mission of solving the world’s most complex technical problems by creating a workforce with a shared appreciation for diversity, raising awareness around inclusiveness, and fostering a sense of belonging and appreciation for all members of our community.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Georgia Tech Research Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees. Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law.