Photonics/RFIC Engineer - EOSL
Location: Atlanta, GA
Categories: Antenna, Hardware Development/Design, Electromagnetics, Electronic Warfare, Modeling/Simulation, Radar, RF, Sensors/Optics
The ideal candidate is versed in the design and development of electronic, radio frequency, millimeter wave, and photonics design and development. Technology breakthroughs are achieved through a broad skill set covering numerous stages of the fabrication process including simulation, design, layout, packaging, and characterization of ICs, as well as integration into higher-level systems (such as board-level, component-level, and systems-level). The researcher will work as part of a broad team of researchers to innovate new concepts, identify technology stakeholders, and execute challenging research in the national interest.
The researcher will build and expand GTRI’s research portfolio in the areas of radar, electronic warfare, communications, and similar electronic systems, and advance the technology readiness level of high-impact technologies. Additionally, the Researcher will support prototype development efforts on sponsored projects by government research laboratories, and investigate research trends in state-of-the-art photonic component and system performance.
A Photonics Engineer advances and matures the state-of-the-art in integrated circuits that interact with electromagnetic signals. Their research centers on the development of RFICs and/or photonic IC (PICs) technology enabled through a diverse set of material systems, including Complementary Metal-Oxide Semiconductor (CMOS)-based silicon, silicon germanium (SiGe), and compound semiconductors (InP, GaAs, GaN and their associated ternary and quaternary compositions). The engineer is versed in the design and development of electronic, radio frequency, millimeter wave, and photonics design and development. Technology breakthroughs are achieved through a broad skill set covering numerous stages of the fabrication process including simulation, design, layout, packaging, and characterization of ICs, as well as integration into higher-level systems (such as board-level, component-level, and systems-level). The engineer works as part of a broad team of researchers to innovate new concepts, identify technology stakeholders, and execute challenging research in the national interest.
- Integrate RF/Analog devices with other board and system level components/modules
- Primary author of technical reports and presentations, and can lead team review of final deliverables
- Primary author of pertinent white papers, and competitive proposals
- Communicate technical objectives and justification to external sponsors and internal leadership
- Take ownership of moderate team development, mentoring others
- Develop designs in radio frequency integrated circuits, photonic integrated circuits, and advanced microelectronics.
- Perform design and layout of integrated circuits and printed circuit boards (PCB) using tools such as Cadence, OptoDesigner, and Altium Designer.
- Model and simulate new radio frequency, photonic, or microelectronic concepts using tools such as Lumerical, HFSS, OptSim or Silvaco TCAD, supplemented with custom programs written in MATLAB or Python.
- Support system prototyping efforts through defining architectures, deriving system requirements, and assisting in prototype assembly and testing.
- Use common RF/optical test equipment (spectrum analyzers, power meters, and signal analyzers) to verify designs and performance in laboratory environments.
- Support business development activities among Department or Defense (DoD) program offices via the preparation of proposals and white papers.
Required Minimum Qualifications
- Candidates currently enrolled in an accredited degree program relevant to this position will be considered.
- Basic knowledge of radio frequency engineering, photonics engineering, microfabrication techniques, or device physics.
- Experience with radio frequency or photonic component and system simulation or layout software such as HFSS, Lumerical, OptSim, VPI Photonics, Silvaco TCAD, Altium Designer, Cadence, Optodesigner.
- Experience performing basic electrical and optical tests using equipment such as spectrum analyzers, network analyzers, power meters, and signal analyzers.
- Strong programming skills in MATLAB or Python.
- Active Secret Clearance
- Strong foundation in mathematics and physics with ability to learn complex engineering concepts demonstrated through primary authorship in peer reviewed publications or winning proposals.
- Experience in leading RF, photonic, digital, firmware, or embedded software design efforts.
- Track record in business development and program management to pursue funding and execute complex research projects.
- Strong sense of curiosity in both the technical and non-technical aspects of working in applied research.
- Ability to clearly communicate technical ideas to a non-technical audience
- Ability to work independently as well as in a dynamic team environment with a commitment to diversity and professionalism.
Education and Length of Experience
This position vacancy is an open-rank announcement. The final job offer will be dependent on candidate qualifications in alignment with Research Faculty Extension Professional ranks as outlined in section 3.2.1 of the Georgia Tech Faculty Handbook
- 2 years of related experience with a Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Physics, Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Optical Engineering, Mathematics, Engineering Physics, Nuclear Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, or other similar technical disciplines.
- 0 years of related experience with a Masters’ degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Physics, Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Optical Engineering, Mathematics, Engineering Physics, Nuclear Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, or other similar technical disciplines.
U.S. Citizenship Requirements
Due to our research contracts with the U.S. federal government, candidates for this position must be U.S. Citizens.
Clearance Type Required
Candidates must be able to obtain and maintain an active security clearance.
Benefits at GTRI
Comprehensive information on currently offered GTRI benefits, including Health & Welfare, Retirement Plans, Tuition Reimbursement, Time Off, and Professional Development, can be found through this link: https://hr.gatech.edu/benefits
Diversity & Inclusion
Diversity & Inclusion (D&I) at Georgia Tech Research Institute aims to enhance the Institute’s mission of solving the world’s most complex technical problems by creating a workforce with a shared appreciation for diversity, raising awareness around inclusiveness, and fostering a sense of belonging and appreciation for all members of our community.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Georgia Tech Research Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees. Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law.
Back Submit Resume