Data Scientist -ATAS - Open Rank
Location: Smyrna, GA
Categories: Aeronautics, Algorithm Development, Artificial Intelligence, High Performance Computing, Machine Learning, Modeling/Simulation, Software Development/Design, Aerospace, Data Analytics/Science
The ATAS laboratory is searching for an experienced analyst to be part of a predictive analytics team. The position will support aerospace challenges for government sponsors and offer exposure to applied Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning (AI/ML) research, development and deployment.
The candidate is familiar AI/ML model development and/or predictive analytics. Primary research areas of interest will include AI/ML, python model development, and interfacing with data analysts. Additionally, the candidate should be comfortable algorithm coding in python and holding technical discussions with peer engineers and data scientists.
The ideal candidate will also demonstrate familiarity with the data pipeline, demand forecasting and/or data processing on either cloud, server, HPC or similar environments.
Data Scientists interpret and analyze data to solve problems and customer needs. Utilize advanced algorithms in statistics, machine learning and artificial intelligence for analyzing and classifying datasets. Extract hidden information from large sources of raw data to deliver value to business stakeholders. Applies state-of-the-art data mining techniques, conducts statistical analyses, builds high-quality prediction models, and data visualizations. Responsible for selecting features, building and optimizing classifiers using machine learning or statistical techniques. They create a thorough plan for model validation and A/B testing is required. Models developed by data scientists are deployed by ML Engineers. Requires strong educational background in computer science and/or mathematics, particularly with an advanced degree; may perform physics-based modeling, applied quantum algorithms, and artificial intelligence (AI).
- Customize complex models and algorithms using state-of-the-art tools and frameworks.
- Collaborate with sponsors to determine actionable approaches to modeling.
- Perform model validation and A/B testing.
- Proficient in R, Python, and/or Julia, also SAS, SPSS, and/or Tableau.
- Assessment of data results, technical metrics, and trend analysis.
- Support a team in model algorithm development, testing, validation and deployment.
- Document and present results in appropriate forums (technical reports, publications, etc.).
Required Minimum Qualifications
- MS or higher degree in relevant field.
- Expertise in Python and git.
- Familiarity with code development standards, version control methods, and software documentation.
- Active Secret Clearance.
- Familiarity with aerospace systems, data, and measurements.
10% - 25% travel
Education and Length of Experience
This position vacancy is an open-rank announcement. The final job offer will be dependent on candidate qualifications in alignment with Research Faculty Extension Professional ranks as outlined in section 3.2.1 of the Georgia Tech Faculty Handbook
- 5 years of related experience with a Bachelors' degree in Aerospace Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Computer Science, Data Analytics, Data Science, and Physics.
- 3 years of related experience with a Masters’ degree in Aerospace Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Computer Science, Data Analytics, Data Science, and Physics.
- 0 years of related experience with a Ph.D. in Aerospace Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Computer Science, Data Analytics, Data Science, and Physics.
U.S. Citizenship Requirements
Due to our research contracts with the U.S. federal government, candidates for this position must be U.S. Citizens.
Clearance Type Required
Candidates must be able to obtain and maintain an active security clearance.
Benefits at GTRI
Comprehensive information on currently offered GTRI benefits, including Health & Welfare, Retirement Plans, Tuition Reimbursement, Time Off, and Professional Development, can be found through this link: https://hr.gatech.edu/benefits
Diversity & Inclusion
Diversity & Inclusion (D&I) at Georgia Tech Research Institute aims to enhance the Institute’s mission of solving the world’s most complex technical problems by creating a workforce with a shared appreciation for diversity, raising awareness around inclusiveness, and fostering a sense of belonging and appreciation for all members of our community.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Georgia Tech Research Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees. Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law.
Back Submit Resume