The Applied Systems Laboratory (ASL) Air and Missile Defense Systems (AMDS) Division of the Georgia Tech Research Institute (GTRI) is seeking a Software Engineer to become a member of a small Agile team supporting an established program for Army Air and Missile Defense. Located in Huntsville, Alabama, ASL conducts world-class applied research in avionics modeling, simulation, analysis, testing, evaluation, and software development in support of the government sponsors.
A Software Engineer designs, develops, and tests software; additionally manages software development teams, provides technical leadership, establishes software development lifecycle practices and processes. The Software Engineer is proficient in programming languages such as Java, C, C++, Ruby, Python, Scala, and Groovy. Requires extensive knowledge of programming languages, software development, computer operating systems, continuous integration, continuous delivery, DevOps, API development, container development, and distributed systems. Applies engineering principles to software creation, managing production releases of software, performing code reviews, merging feature development branches, and analyzing and triaging issues. Necessary skill areas: Programming and coding, fundamentals of computer science, design and architecture, algorithms and data structures, information analysis, debugging software, testing software, and working in development teams. Works with sponsors to curate requirements, define sprint work items, set priorities for work backlogs, and organize development teams.
- Apply expertise in computing systems, software structure to software planning, requirements, and development. Base software structure and design on the recognized limitations of hardware platform.
- Develop and maintain kernel and user-level software and scripts.
- Create and analyze network protocols.
- Develop / design software requirements for existing and future products.
- Implement software designs and requirements into current and future products.
- Report development status and results to Project Director.
- Regularly work with customers, users, and team members during product life cycle to facilitate a quality product.
- Comply with documented software processes.
- Provide engineering support for developed products.
Required Minimum Qualifications
- Experience in concept and feature Agile development methodologies and structured approaches to documentation.
- Experience with software development in a Linux environment.
- Coordination, organization, teaming and communication abilities.
- The candidate must be self-motivated, possess communication skills, and be capable of working in a multi-tasking team environment.
- Active Secret Clearance.
- Experience with Atlassian suite: JIRA, Confluence, Bitbucket.
- Experience with software development life cycle models such as Agile.
- Knowledge of TCP/IP, UDP, REST and other network communication protocols.
- Familiarity with Data Distribution Service (DDS) and Interface Definition Language (IDL) highly desired.
- Experience with Python.
- Hands-on software troubleshooting and testing of military and/or networking applications.
Education and Length of Experience
This position vacancy is an open-rank announcement. The final job offer will be dependent on candidate qualifications in alignment with Research Faculty Extension Professional ranks as outlined in section 3.2.1 of the Georgia Tech Faculty Handbook
- 5 years of related experience with a Bachelors' degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Software Engineering, or a related field.
- 3 years of related experience with a Masters’ degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Software Engineering, or a related field.
- 0 years of related experience with a Ph.D. in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Software Engineering, or a related field.
U.S. Citizenship Requirements
Due to our research contracts with the U.S. federal government, candidates for this position must be U.S. Citizens.
Clearance Type Required
Candidates must be able to obtain and maintain an active security clearance.
Benefits at GTRI
Comprehensive information on currently offered GTRI benefits, including Health & Welfare, Retirement Plans, Tuition Reimbursement, Time Off, and Professional Development, can be found through this link: https://hr.gatech.edu/benefits
Diversity & Inclusion
Diversity & Inclusion (D&I) at Georgia Tech Research Institute aims to enhance the Institute’s mission of solving the world’s most complex technical problems by creating a workforce with a shared appreciation for diversity, raising awareness around inclusiveness, and fostering a sense of belonging and appreciation for all members of our community.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Georgia Tech Research Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees. Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law.