Software Architect - Huntsville, AL - ASL
Location: Huntsville, AL
Categories: Algorithm Development, System Architecture, Modeling/Simulation, Networking, Software Development/Design, System Engineering
The Applied Systems Laboratory (ASL) Air and Missile Defense Systems (AMDS) Division of the Georgia Tech Research Institute (GTRI) is seeking an experienced Software Architect to support concept development, design of software features, systems design and system architecture design for new or upgraded capabilities and components (i.e., sensors and weapons) into the Army Integrated Air and Missile Defense (AIAMD) architecture. Located in Huntsville, Alabama, ASL conducts world-class applied research in system modeling, simulation, analysis, testing, evaluation, and software development in support of the government sponsors.
Software Architects design, develop, and deploy software solutions for GTRI's applied research sponsors. This position requires providing technical leadership, including design documentation that details recommendations and implementation details about software subsystems, hardware technologies, and deployment requirements. Software Architects should be able to independently implement any portion of the design process, as needed for custom implementations.
- Responsible for developing software system architectures to solve complex analytic systems.
- Responsible for developing complex test plans and coordinating testing activities. Tests may be performed in the lab or at remote field sites. Field test coordination logistics are very complex.
- Responsible for success of software deployment and field testing including efficient troubleshooting of test or system malfunctions, on-the-fly interpretation of test results, and ability to modify test plans to adapt to tests results on the fly.
- Diagnose and repair systems as required.
- Perform comparative analysis to similar systems, assessing system strengths and weaknesses.
- Research system theory and design concepts and implementation methods to help in determining system functionality, state of the art, and potential weaknesses.
- Primary author of technical reports/presentations for projects of high complexity. Compile report input from other researchers and prepare final report deliverable.
- Support concept and feature development for integration of new or upgraded mission command capabilities, sensors, and weapons into the Army Integrated Air and Missile Defense (AIAMD) architecture using Agile methods.
- Provide technical subject matter expertise for underlying mission command, sensor, and weapon technologies.
- Utilize artifacts from previously developed concepts and current AIAMD architecture, requirements, and design to provide context and constrain concept and feature development.
- Perform investigations and develop reports to determine modifications to the AIAMD system architecture, system requirements, software requirements, interfaces and software design to support implementation of features.
- Collaborate with stakeholders to elaborate concepts and solicit feedback.
- Perform analysis trades and develop algorithms to support implementation of features.
- Develop verification criteria for implementation of features.
- Author concepts, capabilities, and feature definition documents and support technical document reviews.
- Support implementation and testing of features by development, test, and integration teams.
- Support planning meetings and working groups.
Required Minimum Qualifications
- Experience in concept and feature Agile development methodologies and structured approaches to documentation.
- Air and Missile Defense experience and knowledge of command and control, sensor, and weapon technologies.
- Coordination, organization, teaming and communication abilities.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DoD security clearance SECRET or higher.
- Active Secret Clearance.
- Experience with Army Integrated Battle Command System (IBCS) Software and the AIAMD system of systems architecture.
Experience with designing and improving real time, distributed systems architectures.
- Experience with configuration management and requirements management systems such as DOORS, JIRA, MKS or ClearCase.
Model Based Systems Engineering (MBSE) experience and utilization of Magic Draw or Cameo tool suite.
Education and Length of Experience
This position vacancy is an open-rank announcement. The final job offer will be dependent on candidate qualifications in alignment with Research Faculty Extension Professional ranks as outlined in section 3.2.1 of the Georgia Tech Faculty Handbook
- 14 years of related experience with a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Engineering, Systems Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, or Electrical Engineering.
- 12 years of related experience with a Masters’ degree in Computer Engineering, Systems Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, or Electrical Engineering.
- 9 years of related experience with a Ph.D. in Computer Engineering, Systems Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, or Electrical Engineering.
U.S. Citizenship Requirements
Due to our research contracts with the U.S. federal government, candidates for this position must be U.S. Citizens.
Clearance Type Required
Candidates must be able to obtain and maintain an active security clearance.
Benefits at GTRI
Comprehensive information on currently offered GTRI benefits, including Health & Welfare, Retirement Plans, Tuition Reimbursement, Time Off, and Professional Development, can be found through this link: https://hr.gatech.edu/benefits
Diversity & Inclusion
Diversity & Inclusion (D&I) at Georgia Tech Research Institute aims to enhance the Institute’s mission of solving the world’s most complex technical problems by creating a workforce with a shared appreciation for diversity, raising awareness around inclusiveness, and fostering a sense of belonging and appreciation for all members of our community.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Georgia Tech Research Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees. Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law.
Back Submit Resume