Georgia Tech Research Institute is seeking a senior level Business Development and Field Office Manager for its Washington DC Field Office located in Arlington, VA (Rosslyn). The focus of the Washington BD&FOM is to nurture/improve GTRl's reputation and working relationships with sponsors in the greater Washington DC metro area and identify opportunities where GTRI’s core competencies and capabilities can positively impact national security.
The Business Development and Field Office Manager (BD&FOM) will conduct business intelligence and program development to include sponsor engagement at area Department of Defense (DOD) and Intelligence Community (IC) facilities as well as provide direct support and assistance on programs for current sponsors. The BD&FOM will develop relationships and establish regular engagements with key DOD and IC leaders to discern where GTRI competencies and capabilities can best contribute to national security. This business intelligence position will promote GTRl's research and engineering capabilities and develop and maintain relationships with current and prospective research sponsors.
As a Business Development Manager, will report to the GTRI Chief of Staff and operate at the leading edge of GTRI operations, often serving as the initial and primary interface between research sponsors and GTRI research laboratories. The BD Manager will actively identify potential sponsors and opportunities, provide direct support for GTRI-wide sponsor engagement, and work with Laboratory leadership and project directors to ensure resources are available to meet sponsor current and future requirements.
As the Field Office Manager, will report to the GTRI Chief of Staff and provide senior leadership for the field office focused on research, operations, and business development functions and work closely with both Laboratory and GTRI executive leadership teams. This Field Office Manager position will be responsible for day-to-day operations at the Washington Field Office and develop and implement a strategy with long term goals for research and personnel growth and innovation, while assuring successful project execution. The Field Office Manager may also provide direct support for sponsored research including program management and technical participation as appropriate.
The ideal candidate will have strong written and verbal communications skills, strong problem-solving skills, prior management and program development experience and established relationships with research sponsors in the Washington DC area. Prior civilian or military senior leadership experience developing and/or employing DOD or Intelligence Community technology is highly desirable. This position may be full-time or part time, and will work out of the GTRI Washington Field Office location in Rosslyn at 1700 North Moore Street, Arlington, VA
Business Development (BD) Managers provide direct support for GTRI-wide customer engagement, contract vehicle capture activities, and contract/program management. Customer engagement includes developing, establishing, and maintaining relationships between GTRI, strategic partners and customers, especially the Department of Defense. In support of GTRI leadership, BD Managers identify, develop, and implement near-term and long-term business strategies relating to GTRI science and technology (S&T) and research, development, testing and evaluation (RDT&E) activities. BD Managers actively identify potential sponsors and opportunities, coordinate staffing requirements with laboratory leadership, and provide and manage contract vehicles to support GTRI research staff and technical activities.
- Occasionally lead and often support BD activities for GTRI and across all Directorates, Laboratories and Field Offices, not just those in direct reporting chain
- Provide significant support for GTRI-wide customer engagement, contract vehicle capture activities, and contract/program management
- Assist with providing direction and overall management for BD staff
- May serve as the initial and primary interface between research sponsors and GTRI research laboratories
- Develop, establish, and maintain relationships between GTRI, strategic partners and customers, especially the Department of Defense
- Provide input to GTRI leadership for strategy development, strategic vision, and assists with developing an execution plan for future GTRI research and development and business growth
- Contribute significantly to implementation of near-term and long-term business strategies relating to GTRI science and technology (S&T) and research, development, testing and evaluation (RDT&E) activities.
- Actively identify potential sponsors and opportunities, coordinate
staffing requirements with laboratory leadership, and provide and manage contract vehicles to support GTRI research staff and technical activities
- Assist with coordination and support for customer engagements and VIP visits.
- Contribute to vision/roadmap for the establishment and continuity of contract vehicles with the characteristics of agility, flexibility and usability across GTRI
- Assist all GTRI Directorates, Laboratories and Field Offices and the Government with establishing and executing contract vehicles, competitive and non-competitive.
- Contribute significantly to marketing and facilitating the establishment of new contract vehicles with Government sponsors.
- Support and often lead capture team, proposal writing, and/or ensures support for GTRI IDIQs and task orders that cut across Laboratories and Directorates.
- Aid with contract management support and de-confliction for “non-traditional” contracts/agreements (e.g., Other Transaction Authority (OTA) contracts, Proprietary Information Agreements (PIA), Master Research Agreements (MRAs), etc.)
- Provide business operations support as needed to promote synchronization of business activities (e.g., teaming agreements, conflict of interest determination, etc.)
- Provide contract/program management support for nascent and strategic GTRI-wide IDIQs and task orders contracts as required
- Aid security coordination to enable researcher access and support (e.g., DD254s, CAC/PKI cards, SCI clearances, network connectivity, etc.) as required and as applicable to the contracts they manage
- Will also serve as the Field Office Manager with the following key responsibilities;
- The management functions include:
- Personnel management including hiring, performance evaluations, staffing, etc.
- Management of budgets, resources, and space for the field office
- Participation in laboratory management meetings and events
- Oversight of field office program and operational activities, including facility issues and related contracted support services
- Development of field office strategic vision and execution plan for the field office in conjunction with the Laboratory and Directorate Leadership
- Leading contract development activities for the field office and interfacing with field office external customers
- Development of research collaborations between Lab and other GTRI field offices and other laboratories
- Research duties include:
- Program management and oversight of specific research projects
- Contribute to sponsored research activities
- Development and execution of modernization and internal research and development programs supporting the field office strategic vision
- Development of proposals for new research efforts hosted at the field office
Required Minimum Qualifications
- Bachelors degree in a scientific or engineering discipline
- 10 years prior management/leadership experience
- Active TS/SCI Clearance
- Recent senior leadership experience in government Science and Technology (S&T), Research, Development, Testing, and Evaluation (RDT&E) with the Department of Defense, Intelligence Community, or other federal research agency.
10% - 25% travel
Education and Length of Experience
This position vacancy is an open-rank announcement. The final job offer will be dependent on candidate qualifications in alignment with Research Faculty Extension Professional ranks as outlined in section 3.2.1 of the Georgia Tech Faculty Handbook
- 14 years of related experience with a Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or sciences with work experience developing technology for the Department of Defense or Intelligence Community.
- 12 years of related experience with a Masters’ degree in Engineering or sciences with work experience developing technology for the Department of Defense or Intelligence Community.
- 9 years of related experience with a Ph.D. in Engineering or sciences with work experience developing technology for the Department of Defense or Intelligence Community.
U.S. Citizenship Requirements
Due to our research contracts with the U.S. federal government, candidates for this position must be U.S. Citizens.
Clearance Type Required
Candidates must be able to obtain and maintain an active security clearance.
Benefits at GTRI
Comprehensive information on currently offered GTRI benefits, including Health & Welfare, Retirement Plans, Tuition Reimbursement, Time Off, and Professional Development, can be found through this link: https://hr.gatech.edu/benefits
Diversity & Inclusion
Diversity & Inclusion (D&I) at Georgia Tech Research Institute aims to enhance the Institute’s mission of solving the world’s most complex technical problems by creating a workforce with a shared appreciation for diversity, raising awareness around inclusiveness, and fostering a sense of belonging and appreciation for all members of our community.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Georgia Tech Research Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees. Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law.