Embedded Software/Firmware Engineer (Entry Level) - SEAL - Open Rank (Onsite)
Location: Atlanta, GA, Smyrna, GA
Categories: Embedded Systems, Electronic Warfare, Radar, RF
- Smyrna, GA (Metro Atlanta)
- The Georgia Tech Research Institute has opportunities for research engineers within the Sensor and Systems Engineering Division (SSED) of the Sensors and Electromagnetic Applications Laboratory (SEAL). SSED projects focus on developing hardware for a wide range of Department of Defense applications. Hardware development includes designing and building custom hardware, modifying existing hardware, implementing solutions using general purpose hardware, and repurposing hardware. Applications primarily include radar, electronic warfare, and embedded signal processing but often span into communication systems, surveillance systems, and other remote sensing applications.
Engineer responsible for developing algorithms and code for real-time signal processing, communication and data transfer between system level hardware and embedded hardware. Design based on embedded firmware systems, such as Field Programmable Gate Array (FPGA), Digital Signal Processors (DSPs), microcontrollers/computers, Application-Specific Integrated Circuits/systems (ASICs), and or Graphical Processor Units (GPUs). Designs will also require development of documentation to support future reviews of design and possible enhancements. Position requires extensive knowledge of development environments for Xilinx and Altera (Intel) technologies, software development and configuration skills, and computer operating systems. Applies engineering principles to firmware software creation. Implementation of real-time hardware interface firmware and analysis, debugging, and testing of system.
- Design, test, and develop software packages in order to meet requirements and open system standards.
- Develop and maintain software and scripts to support software development and processes.
- Follow embedded software/firmware development processes.
- Contribute to research reports, white paper and competitive proposals.
Required Minimum Qualifications
- Candidates currently enrolled in an accredited degree program relevant to this position will be considered. The candidate must have a graduation date of no later than May 2024.
- Expertise in embedded software development or firmware design.
- Active Secret Clearance
- Proficiency in embedded software development in C or C++.
- Proficiency in firmware development using VHDL.
- Experience with software or firmware development for radar or electronic warfare applications.
- Digital signal processing experience.
- Understanding of RF systems.
10% - 25% travel
Education and Length of Experience
This position vacancy is an open-rank announcement. The final job offer will be dependent on candidate qualifications in alignment with Research Faculty Extension Professional ranks as outlined in section 3.2.1 of the Georgia Tech Faculty Handbook
- 0 years of related experience with a Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Computer Science, Physics, Mathematics or related field.
U.S. Citizenship Requirements
Due to our research contracts with the U.S. federal government, candidates for this position must be U.S. Citizens.
Clearance Type Required
Candidates must be able to obtain and maintain an active security clearance.
Benefits at GTRI
Comprehensive information on currently offered GTRI benefits, including Health & Welfare, Retirement Plans, Tuition Reimbursement, Time Off, and Professional Development, can be found through this link: https://hr.gatech.edu/benefits
Diversity & Inclusion
Diversity & Inclusion (D&I) at Georgia Tech Research Institute aims to enhance the Institute’s mission of solving the world’s most complex technical problems by creating a workforce with a shared appreciation for diversity, raising awareness around inclusiveness, and fostering a sense of belonging and appreciation for all members of our community.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Georgia Tech Research Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees. Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law.
Back Submit Resume