The Air National Guard Program Division (ANGPD) is predominantly focused on delivering combat capability to the Air National Guard through sponsor-focused systems upgrades, testing, and training programs. ANGPD provides sponsors programmatic and technological solutions in a variety of areas including program management, system engineering, operations, acquisitions, test & evaluation (T&E), tactics, training, and research.
The Software Engineer designs, develops, and tests software applications and products. Additionally, the Software Engineer manages software development teams, provides technical leadership, and establishes software development lifecycle practices and processes. The Software Engineer is proficient in programming languages such as Java, C, C++, Ruby, Python, Scala, and Groovy. In this role, the Software Engineer requires extensive knowledge of programming languages, software development, computer operating systems, Continuous Integration/Continuous Delivery (CI/CD), DevOps, Application Programming Interface (API) development, container development, and distributed systems. The Software Engineer also applies engineering principles to software creation, manages production releases of software, performs code reviews, merges feature development branches, and analyzes and triages issues. The necessary skill areas for the Software Engineer include programming and coding, fundamentals of computer science, software design and architecture development, algorithms and data structures, information analysis, software debugging and testing, and working on development teams. The Software Engineer also works with sponsors to curate requirements, define sprint work items, set priorities for work backlogs, and organize development teams.
- Author technical reports and presentations for projects of moderate-to-high complexity
- Compile report input from other researchers and prepare final report deliverables
- Lead and/or contribute to white papers and proposals
- Propose and lead Internal Research and Development (IRAD) programs
- Create and analyze network protocols
- This is a senior level position and will require strategy development and collaboration skills across various organizations
- Manage, and maintain Continuous Integration/Continuous Delivery (CI/CD) pipelines
- Manage Information Technology (IT) infrastructure needs to support software code development in dedicated or cloud environments
- Direct and support testing to validate release, and monitor performance after the release
- Research and stay up to date on the latest Department of Defense (DoD) and non-DoD Software Modernization technologies
- Work as part of a multi-disciplinary team on large, complex development efforts
Required Minimum Qualifications
- Demonstrated software project or other similar leadership through previous positions
- Experience with software version control tools and best practices (e.g. Git)
- Experience developing on/for Windows and Linux operating systems
- Active Secret Clearance
- Ability to clearly communicate technical ideas to non-technical people
- Strong interest in modern software engineering processes and tools
- Experience developing software applications leveraging DoD DevSecOps Enterprise Services (e.g. Big Bang, Platform One, CloudOne, etc)
- Experience using container-based orchestration systems for software deployment (e.g. Kubernetes, Rancher, etc.)
- Familiarity with software development and collaboration tools such as GitLab and Atlassian
- Experience working with automated testing systems
- Experience working with continuous integration and continuous delivery (CI/CD) pipelines
10% - 25% travel
Education and Length of Experience
Levels 4, 5
This position vacancy is an open-rank announcement. The final job offer will be dependent on candidate qualifications in alignment with Research Faculty Extension Professional ranks as outlined in section 3.2.1 of the Georgia Tech Faculty Handbook
- 9 years of related experience with a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Systems Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Physics, Mathematics, or related degree field
- 7 years of related experience with a Masters’ degree inComputer Science, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Systems Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Physics, Mathematics, or related degree field
- 4 years of related experience with a Ph.D. in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Systems Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Physics, Mathematics, or related degree field
U.S. Citizenship Requirements
Due to our research contracts with the U.S. federal government, candidates for this position must be U.S. Citizens.
Clearance Type Required
Candidates must be able to obtain and maintain an active security clearance.
Benefits at GTRI
Comprehensive information on currently offered GTRI benefits, including Health & Welfare, Retirement Plans, Tuition Reimbursement, Time Off, and Professional Development, can be found through this link: https://hr.gatech.edu/benefits
Diversity & Inclusion
Diversity & Inclusion (D&I) at Georgia Tech Research Institute aims to enhance the Institute’s mission of solving the world’s most complex technical problems by creating a workforce with a shared appreciation for diversity, raising awareness around inclusiveness, and fostering a sense of belonging and appreciation for all members of our community.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Georgia Tech Research Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees. Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law.