Associate Branch Head - Software Engineer - ELSYS - Hybrid - Smyrna, GA - (Open Rank)
Location: Smyrna, GA
Categories: Electronic Warfare, Project/Program Management, Software Development/Design, Testing
The Open Test Software Branch (OTSB) within the Test Engineering Division (TEN) of the Electronic Systems Laboratory (ELSYS) is seeking an Associate Branch Head to help lead a diverse group of engineers and scientists that focus primarily on developing test solutions for Open Architecture (OA) systems.
OTSB also supports TEN's other work in developing Hardware in the Loop (HITL) test sets, test tools, analysis tools and test methods for US Air Force, Army, and Navy sponsors. These systems provide high fidelity simulation and stimulation of real-time Electro-Optical/Infra-Red (EO/IR), Radio Frequency (RF) and Avionics environments for testing Electronic Warfare (EW) and avionics systems. These systems protect aircraft from adversarial ground and airborne threats. This research is critical for supporting the development, trouble-shooting, analysis and testing of EW and Integrated EW (IEW) systems.
Lead and contribute technically to sponsored research projects. Assist Branch Head with staffing, appraisals, hiring and technical research activities.
- Apply expertise in computing systems to define requirements and develop software designs recognizing limitations of target hardware platforms
- Develop and maintain kernel and user-level software and scripts
- Create and analyze network protocols
- Serve as an alternate to the Branch Head for administrative functions (timesheet, travel authorization and approval, procurement) and management meetings
- Project Execution Oversight - Work with the Branch Head and TEN management team to provide technical oversight for programs executed within the branch; this includes helping project directors setup, initiate, execute and closeout programs conforming to contracted scope, deliverables, schedule and budget and provide monthly status meetings with project directors and division management and providing other reporting as required
- Project Staffing Support - Support the division in establishing a staffing plan and identify hiring needs; Support interview and hiring process to hire the best person for the job and support supervised personnel in search of billable research if there is a gap between tasking
- Branch budgeting - support Branch Head as required managing branch overhead budgets
- Business Development/Strategy - Work with the Branch Head and other TEN Branch Heads and TEN division management to develop funded research programs and strategy; activities include development and execution of business development strategies, direct outreach to existing and potential sponsors, and mentor and direct branch staff in these activities
- Coach - Work with the Branch Head to support the professional growth of supervised researchers through mentorship, training, and coaching; work with researchers to ensure they have opportunity to achieve their next rank promotion
- Software Engineering – Follow agile software development processes and practices; support translation of system requirements into software requirements and design; work within cross-functional teams to refine requirements, formulate technical approaches, implement designs, review code, and spread knowledge within teams. Contribute to automated build processes and continuous integration pipelines; document workflows and system use cases and facilitate user training
- In addition to the Branch Head management responsibilities, the Associate Branch Head will also conduct research on sponsored programs and be either a proficient Software Engineer or Software Architect familiar with the methods, processes, and tools necessary to lead teams in research program execution in these areas
- Perform other duties as assigned
Required Minimum Qualifications
- Experience using modern programming languages (C#, C++, Java or Python) for desktop and/or web applications
- Experience with software version control tools and best practices
- Experience with technical program management
- Experience with leading, training and/or coaching personnel (full-time, part-time, or students)
- Active Secret Clearance
- Experience with EW and avionics system architecture, functions and interfaces
- Experience with developing software for open system architectures
- Experience with developing web applications using React or equivalent web framework
- Experience leading research projects
- Experience developing research proposals
Education and Length of Experience
Levels 3, 4
This position vacancy is an open-rank announcement. The final job offer will be dependent on candidate qualifications in alignment with Research Faculty Extension Professional ranks as outlined in section 3.2.1 of the Georgia Tech Faculty Handbook
- 5 years of related experience with a Bachelor’s degree in Software Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or related field of study
- 3 years of related experience with a Masters’ degree in Software Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or related field of study
- 0 years of related experience with a Ph.D. in Software Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or related field of study
U.S. Citizenship Requirements
Due to our research contracts with the U.S. federal government, candidates for this position must be U.S. Citizens.
Clearance Type Required
Candidates must be able to obtain and maintain an active security clearance.
Benefits at GTRI
Comprehensive information on currently offered GTRI benefits, including Health & Welfare, Retirement Plans, Tuition Reimbursement, Time Off, and Professional Development, can be found through this link: https://hr.gatech.edu/benefits
Diversity & Inclusion
Diversity & Inclusion (D&I) at Georgia Tech Research Institute aims to enhance the Institute’s mission of solving the world’s most complex technical problems by creating a workforce with a shared appreciation for diversity, raising awareness around inclusiveness, and fostering a sense of belonging and appreciation for all members of our community.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Georgia Tech Research Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees. Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law.
Back Submit Resume