The Robotics Branch of the Intelligent Sustainable Technologies Division (ISTD) at Georgia Tech Research Institute (GTRI) is searching for a Robotics Engineer with experience in creating innovative robotics and automation solutions for both industry and Government efforts in domains ranging from space habitats to biomanufacturing, warehouse automation, and agriculture. Our group is looking for graduates in robotics, computer science, computer/electrical/mechanical engineering, or related fields specializing in software development for robotic planning, control for agile robotics, and development of novel automation solutions. you will be joining a growing robotics branch and division, and responsibilities may include research into new and innovative algorithms, rapid prototyping, systems integration, and software engineering with a specific focus on agile robotic applications. Responsibilities include algorithm development, test, and debug, along with system integration.
The candidate should be self-motivated, have demonstrated C/C++ and python programming skills, followed software engineering best practices, and had a strong mathematical foundation and problem-solving skills. The successful candidate will perform research into novel solutions and algorithms for areas ranging from manipulation for discrete part assembly to sensor processing for obstacle avoidance and localization in industrial agricultural, and Government domains.
ISTD is part of the Aerospace, Transportation, and Advanced Systems Lab (ATAS) of GTRI. ATAS conducts research for Government and industry customers in industrial robotics, medical robotics, unmanned systems, aerodynamics, radar and weapons systems, food processing technology, and modelling of social systems. ISTD's current focus is in supporting military logistics, space and biomanufacturing, and agricultural systems. https://fptd.gatech.edu
A robotics engineer develops the hardware and/or software that enables electro-mechanical systems to perform a series of tasks with little or no human involvement. The robotics engineer can develop the mechanical mechanisms that form the robot, integrate sensors such as cameras and LIDAR systems into the system, or develop the algorithms to allow the robot or autonomous system to sense its environment, plan its actions, and then execute the plan. This position contributes to the fundamental and applied understanding of robotic and autonomous systems. The robotics researcher develops the advanced autonomous planning, coordination, perception and control algorithms that enable a mobile robot or team of robots to operate in dynamic environments. The engineer can also interface with perceptual, actuation, communication and other systems to enable the robot to sense, plan actions, coordinate actions according to mission plans and execute the plans. This position may incorporate a fundamental understanding of robotic control and path planning as well as an applied understanding of robotics systems.
- Perform basic signal processing with supervisor direction.
- Document work in written and presentation form.
- Contribute to algorithm application discussions.
- Contribute to technical reports/presentations of projects, journal articles, and conference presentations.
- Develop algorithms for safe autonomous exploration for mobile systems in complex environments.
- Design and integrate mechatronics systems including embedded computer platforms and micro-electric systems.
- Design and support field-testing and data collection activities.
- Develop software in support of sensing and perception systems.
Required Minimum Qualifications
- Candidates currently enrolled in an accredited degree program relevant to this position will be considered. The candidate must have a graduation date of no later than May 2024.
- The position involves the generation of research reports, publications, proposals, and briefs to customers this requiring excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- The ideal candidate will have hands-on experience with state-of-the-art algorithms on autonomous robot platforms and manipulators.
- Ideal candidate will also have experience with agricultural robotic applications and an understanding of the challenges associated with operation in complex environments.
- Strong software skills and experience with C++ and Python are required.
- Active Secret Clearance.
- Experience with the Robot Operating System (ROS).
- Experience with VR/AR systems design and development.
- Experience with biological or medical robotic applications.
- Experience with machine vision.
- Experience with systems integration.
- Experience with real-time embedded software/systems.
- Experience with electronics design and integration into robotics systems.
- Has engaged in independent projects.
- Experience with version control systems such as GIT.
Education and Length of Experience
This position vacancy is an open-rank announcement. The final job offer will be dependent on candidate qualifications in alignment with Research Faculty Extension Professional ranks as outlined in section 3.2.1 of the Georgia Tech Faculty Handbook
- 0 years of related experience with a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science Robotics, Mechanical Engineering, Mechatronics, Computer Engineering, or Electrical Engineering.
Benefits at GTRI
Comprehensive information on currently offered GTRI benefits, including Health & Welfare, Retirement Plans, Tuition Reimbursement, Time Off, and Professional Development, can be found through this link: https://hr.gatech.edu/benefits
Diversity & Inclusion
Diversity & Inclusion (D&I) at Georgia Tech Research Institute aims to enhance the Institute’s mission of solving the world’s most complex technical problems by creating a workforce with a shared appreciation for diversity, raising awareness around inclusiveness, and fostering a sense of belonging and appreciation for all members of our community.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Georgia Tech Research Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees. Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law.