Avionics Engineer - ASL - Open Rank
Location: Atlanta, GA
Categories: Aeronautics, System Architecture, Embedded Systems, Electronic Warfare, Sensors Integration, System Engineering, Testing, Aerospace, Aircraft, Avionics
The Avionics System Engineer in the Applied Systems Laboratory (ASL) Systems Integration Division (SID) supports system integration and software development projects for Department of Defense (DoD) manned and unmanned aircraft improvement programs. SID research military aircraft specializing in avionics, electronic warfare, autonomous systems, and tactical communication/datalink systems. The SID team's engineering roles include Applied Systems Engineering, Datalink Engineering, Embedded Software, Enterprise Software,
Augmented/Virtual Reality, and Test Engineering.
This position is to work with a team of researchers developing integrated EW suites for Foreign Military Sales (FMS) applications. This involves supporting the full system life cycle, including initial system specification and design, suite integration, testing and data analysis. This research aims to integrate the function of on-aircraft federated EW systems, avionics and data links, to provide better overall aircraft self-protection suite performance, improved pilot situational awareness and embedded training function.
The Avionics Engineer defines and designs military avionic systems and systems-of-systems. Specifically, the Avionics Engineer designs hardware and software systems to perform functions such as navigation, communication, tactical data links, electronic warfare, and defensive countermeasures. These design efforts include integrating the avionics systems within the aircraft, aircraft-to-aircraft, and aircraft-to-ground system integration. The Avionics Engineer applies knowledge specific to aircraft such as safety (e.g. FAA standards), security, robustness, and performance. Additionally, the Avionics Engineer analyzes laboratory and flight test data for functionality and performance. The Avionics Engineer also provides expertise and technical leadership to programs and sponsors to achieve overall goals through the full development life cycle (i.e., requirements development to final delivery). Tools and methodologies used by the Avionics Engineer includes Model Based System Engineering, laboratory analysis hardware, software development environments, and Agile methodologies.
- Decompose, develop, and allocate requirements into system-of-systems performance design criteria.
- Collaborate to develop technical solutions and ensure products meet allocated requirements and design criteria as well as comply with military, safety, and security standards.
- Integrate and test system components in a laboratory or on-aircraft environment and analyze test data to determine if system requirements are met and identify deficiencies.
- Develop technical reports, test plans, memos, and diagrams detailing product or system attributes.
- Begin to participate in sponsor engagement contacts.
- Provide systems engineering support in the development of integrated EW systems.
- Develop, decompose and allocate sponsor requirements into system design, architecture, and data interfaces of hardware and software components.
- Define/refine internal and external interfaces.
- Develop test and data analysis tools for integrated EW systems.
- Develop and review technical reports, specifications, test plans, memos, and diagrams detailing product or system attributes.
Required Minimum Qualifications
- Candidates currently enrolled in an accredited degree program relevant to this position will be considered. The candidate must have a graduation date of no later than December 2023.
- Experience with system engineering processes and methodologies.
- Experience collecting and/or analyzing requirements.
- Experience troubleshooting and debugging hardware and/or software systems.
- Active Secret Clearance.
- Experience developing system design for Electronic Warfare systems.
- Experience processing and analyzing data with tools such as Python.
- Experience with avionic data buses (e.g. MIL-STD-1553, ARINC 429, Ethernet, RS-422, etc.).
- Experience working in a full-lifecycle agile engineering environment.
- Experience supporting field tests to troubleshoot and solve problems.
- Experience with git-based configuration management systems.
Education and Length of Experience
This position vacancy is an open-rank announcement. The final job offer will be dependent on candidate qualifications in alignment with Research Faculty Extension Professional ranks as outlined in section 3.2.1 of the Georgia Tech Faculty Handbook
- 2 years of related experience with a Bachelor’s degree in Aerospace Engineering, Systems Engineering, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Physics, Mathematics or a related technical field.
- 0 years of related experience with a Masters’ degree in Aerospace Engineering, Systems Engineering, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Physics, Mathematics or a related technical field.
U.S. Citizenship Requirements
Due to our research contracts with the U.S. federal government, candidates for this position must be U.S. Citizens.
Clearance Type Required
Candidates must be able to obtain and maintain an active security clearance.
Benefits at GTRI
Comprehensive information on currently offered GTRI benefits, including Health & Welfare, Retirement Plans, Tuition Reimbursement, Time Off, and Professional Development, can be found through this link: https://hr.gatech.edu/benefits
Diversity & Inclusion
Diversity & Inclusion (D&I) at Georgia Tech Research Institute aims to enhance the Institute’s mission of solving the world’s most complex technical problems by creating a workforce with a shared appreciation for diversity, raising awareness around inclusiveness, and fostering a sense of belonging and appreciation for all members of our community.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Georgia Tech Research Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees. Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law.
Back Submit Resume