Senior Embedded Software/Firmware Engineer - EOSL
Location: Atlanta, GA
Categories: Algorithm Development, Artificial Intelligence, Embedded Systems, Hardware Development/Design, High Performance Computing, Image Processing, Lidar, Machine Learning, Robotics/Automated Systems, Sensors Integration, Signal Processing, Software Development/Design, IR, Avionics, Sensors/Optics, Autonomous Systems, ISR & Tactical Systems, Space Systems
The Senior Embedded Software/Firmware Engineer in the Electro-Optical Systems Innovation Division (EOSID) will be responsible for developing algorithms and code for real-time signal processing, as well as communication and data transfer between system-level hardware and embedded hardware. The candidate will design and write firmware for embedded systems, such as Field Programmable Gate Arrays (FPGAs), Digital Signal Processors (DSPs), microcontrollers/computers, Application-Specific Integrated Circuits/systems (ASICs), and or Graphical Processor Units (GPUs). The candidate will develop documentation to support future reviews of design and possible enhancements. The candidate will possess extensive knowledge of development environments for Xilinx and Altera (Intel) technologies, software development and configuration skills, and knowledge of computer operating systems. The candidate will be responsible for applying engineering principles to firmware/software creation and capable of real-time hardware analysis, debugging, and testing of various systems. The candidate will also be responsible for leading research efforts and sponsored projects, as well as providing mentorship of junior engineers.
EOSID specializes in the complete optical imaging and remote sensing chain, from the analysis, design, development, integration, test, and evaluation of imaging and sensing systems, to the processing, exploitation, and visualization of data and imagery. EOSID also specializes in modeling and simulation (M&S) of high-energy laser (HEL) propagation, engagements, and effects. EOSID makes critical contributions to national defense in the domains of Intelligence, Surveillance, Target Acquisition, and Reconnaissance (ISTAR), directed energy (DE), and undersea warfare (USW).
- Develop and maintain software and scripts to support embedded software development and processes.
- Configure and manage real-time operating systems.
- Contribute to new architecture ideas and designs.
- Lead embedded software teams, maintain schedules and budgets, and make staffing decisions.
- Follow sound embedded software development processes and ensure managed developers are following sound embedded software development processes.
- Evaluate and merge software written by supervised developers.
- Support field integration, data collection, and other testing activities relating to electro-optical systems.
- Brief senior leadership and sponsors on technical research efforts.
- Document work and capture research findings in an internal memorandum, research reports, sponsor briefs, conference proceedings, and journal articles.
- Lead and contribute to technical efforts in the analysis, construction, and design of optical systems for remote sensing applications.
- Provide level of effort (LOE) estimates for tasks.
- Participate in business development efforts by leading the development of white papers, competitive proposals, and proposing new research areas suitable for internal research and development (IRAD) funding.
- Supervise and provide mentorship to junior engineers and researchers.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
10% - 25% travel
Education & Length of Experience
Senior Research Engineer/Scientist
- A Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Software Engineering, Computer Science, Physics, Mathematics, Imaging Science, Mechanical Engineering, Geomatics, Civil Engineering, Astrophysics, Astronomy, or related technical field and seven (7) years of relevant full-time experience after completion of that degree,
- A Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Software Engineering, Computer Science, Physics, Mathematics, Imaging Science, Mechanical Engineering, Geomatics, Civil Engineering, Astrophysics, Astronomy, or related technical field and nine (9) years of relevant full-time experience after completion of a Bachelor’s degree, or
- A Doctoral degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Software Engineering, Computer Science, Physics, Mathematics, Imaging Science, Mechanical Engineering, Geomatics, Civil Engineering, Astrophysics, Astronomy, or related technical field and four (4) years of relevant full-time experience after completion of a Bachelor's degree.
Required Minimum Qualifications
- Experience with Field Programmable Gate Array (FPGA) firmware development
- Experience implementing algorithms using one or more of the following: C/C++, Verilog, ROS, Visual Studio
- Experience with high-speed image processing, digital signal processing, point cloud processing, and/or real-time algorithm implementation in FPGA
- Experience with embedded hardware design using Xilinx, mentor graphics, Vivado, EAGLE, Cadence, etc
- Experience with active and/or passive electro-optical/infrared (EO/IR) sensors such as VIS/SWIR/MWIR/LWIR imagers, hyperspectral imagers, or lidar
- Secret Clearance
- Experience with programming and scripting (i.e. Matlab, Python, IDL)
- Experience with Linux, Red hat, Ubuntu, CentOS
- Experience with mixed-signal (Radio Frequency/Analogy/Digital) circuit board design
- Experience with electronic test equipment, connectors, and wiring harnesses
- Experience with Printed Circuit Board (PCB) assembly, test, and debug
- Experience developing heterogeneous computing systems including real-time FPGA, embedded DSP, CPU, and GPU processing
U.S. Citizenship Requirements
Due to our research contracts with the US federal government, candidates for this position are required to be US Citizens.
Clearance Type Required
Candidates must be able to obtain and maintain an active security clearance.
Benefits at GTRI
Comprehensive information on currently offered GTRI benefits including Health & Welfare, Retirement Plans, Tuition Reimbursement, Time Off, and Professional Development, can be found through this link: https://hr.gatech.edu/benefits
Diversity & Inclusion
Diversity & Inclusion (D&I) at Georgia Tech Research Institute aims to enhance the Institute’s mission of solving the world’s most complex technical problems by creating a workforce with a shared appreciation for diversity, raising awareness around inclusiveness, and fostering a sense of belonging and appreciation for all members of our community.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Georgia Tech Research Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees. Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law.
Back Submit Resume