Senior Radar Systems Researcher - Huntsville, AL - SEAL
Location: Huntsville, AL
Categories: Antenna, System Architecture, Hardware Development/Design, Electromagnetics, Radar, RF, System Engineering, Testing
The Air and Missile Defense Division (AMDD) of GTRI in Huntsville, AL is seeking senior-level engineers and scientists who are interested in a career in RF sensors applied to air and missile defense applications. As a researcher in AMDD, candidates will support independent assessment and analysis of advanced Active Electronically Steered Array (AESA) radars with digital beamforming and advanced hardware/algorithmic-based capabilities for Electronic Protection, Clutter Mitigation, Classification, and other leading-edge capabilities. Candidates will interact with the government sponsors by supporting Integrated Product Teams (IPTs), Working Groups (WGs), or similar venues. Candidates may also be involved in the design of AESA front-end hardware, including digital receiver/exciters, waveform generators, signal and data processing subsystems, and similar hardware. The candidate will work closely with other senior researchers and may be asked to help mentor or manage junior researchers. The candidate will be responsible to lead specific research efforts.
- Providing AESA front-end hardware Subject Matter Expertise (SME) support directly to the government sponsor.
- Independently assessing and analyzing contractor hardware AESA designs.
- Analyzing and evaluating sensor system performance.
- Supporting and leading applied research efforts.
- Assessing the impact of electronic attack threats and developing electronic protection techniques.
- Developing and evaluating radar signal and data processing algorithms.
- Supporting radar test planning and data analysis.
- Generating briefings and technical reports.
- Managing tasks and projects to include budgets, staff, and deliverables.
- Supporting business development activities to include the generation of briefings, white papers, and proposals.
Education & Length of Experience
Senior Research Engineer/Scientist
- A Master’s degree in Engineering, Mathematics, or Physics and seven (7) years of relevant full-time experience after completion of that degree,
- A Master’s degree in Engineering, Mathematics, or Physics and nine (9) years of relevant full-time experience after completion of a Bachelor’s degree, or
- A Doctoral degree in Engineering, Mathematics, or Physics and four (4) years of relevant full-time experience after completion of a Bachelor's degree.
Principal Research Engineer/Scientist
- A Master’s degree in Engineering, Mathematics, or Physics and eleven (11) years of relevant full-time experience, or
- A Doctoral degree in Engineering, Mathematics, or Physics and seven (7) years of relevant full-time experience.
Required Minimum Qualifications
- 12 years of relevant experience is required
- Candidates should have a fundamental understanding of one or more of the following subject areas:
- Microwave components,
- Control theory,
- Signal processing,
- Random processes,
- Fourier analysis, or
- Parameter estimation.
- Proficiency in MATLAB.
- Candidates must be excellent communicators and have a willingness to brief their work to outside organizations.
- Experience with radar systems and signal processing via work experience with current or previous employments
- Top Secret Clearance
U.S. Citizenship Requirements
Due to our research contracts with the US federal government, candidates for this position are required to be US Citizens.
Clearance Type Required
Candidates must be able to obtain and maintain an active security clearance.
Safer Federal Workforce Executive Order
Presidential Executive Order 14042 requires most federal contractors, including federal contractors within the University System of Georgia, to comply with Covid-19 guidance from the Safer Federal Workforce Task Force (“Task Force”). Georgia Tech must ensure that all employees covered under the Executive Order (“covered employees”), including those working remotely in the United States, are fully vaccinated by January 19, 2022, or by their first day of work in a covered role.
This position is covered by the Executive Order. Accommodations or exemptions for medical conditions can be requested by individuals who would otherwise be covered but have a disability, medical condition, or sincerely held religious belief, practice, or observance.
Details of the order can be found here.
Benefits at GTRI
Comprehensive information on currently offered GTRI benefits, including Health & Welfare, Retirement Plans, Tuition Reimbursement, Time Off, and Professional Development, can be found through this link: https://hr.gatech.edu/benefits
Diversity & Inclusion
Diversity & Inclusion (D&I) at Georgia Tech Research Institute aims to enhance the Institute’s mission of solving the world’s most complex technical problems by creating a workforce with a shared appreciation for diversity, raising awareness around inclusiveness, and fostering a sense of belonging and appreciation for all members of our community.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Georgia Tech Research Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees. Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law.
Back Submit Resume