The Advanced Concepts Laboratory (ACL) of the Georgia Tech Research Institute (GTRI) seeks qualified individuals for the position of Operations Analyst. This position involves applying analysis techniques to solve challenging real-world problems related to national defense. The candidate will apply MBSE concepts to various national defense projects, often focused on the defense technologies of the future. The candidate will work in and sometimes lead an interdisciplinary team with modeling and simulation engineers, operations analysts, people with experience in military or intelligence operations and analysis, physicists, mathematicians, and people from government organizations, other universities, or industry partners.
The Signals and Systems Division (SASD) engages in research related to high-impact, technical analysis for U.S. Government projects. The division's mission is to shape the development of next-generation technical capabilities and strengthen our national defense through leading-edge research and analytic support, informed by a deep knowledge of operational capabilities, current intelligence, and the related information environment. SASD engages in research in Information Warfare, advanced threat analysis, operational employment concepts, advanced EM spectrum management, test and evaluation, and knowledge management primarily through the application of modeling and simulation.
The Advanced Concepts Laboratory develops tailored solutions for a broad range of national security challenges through disciplined application of physics- and effects-based modeling to realizable systems, augmented with prototype development and testing. ACL’s research thrusts extend across domains, and include bio-, chemical-, RF-, and optical-sensor physics; materials science and engineering; electromagnetic theory, computation, structures, and measurements; electronic warfare techniques and applications; operational scenario modeling and simulation; traditional and asymmetric threat analysis; and ground maneuver warfare.
Model-based Systems Engineers (MBSE) develop and execute novel system model-based approaches to define, design, analyze, and document system development. Applies MBSE tool suites to enable the use of model-based best practices in DoD acquisition and system life cycle support. Supports stakeholders and sponsors in the application of MBSE to tradespace analysis, design, and acquisition. Executes SE and MBSE processes including system definition, functional decomposition, requirements development, architectural development and analysis, design synthesis, system analysis, data modeling and architecture development, and test program development. Presents technical and program management presentations to government sponsors.
- Manage all technical aspects of a product or system design, including directing multiple lab resources for large-scale products or system deployments
- Manage sub-contractor resources supporting all system engineering areas (definition, requirements analysis, synthesis, systems analysis, and implementation)
- Conduct product or system design synthesis, translating requirements into physical architectures for systems of high complexity
- Define/refine internal and external interfaces
- Develop technical reports and diagrams detailing product or system attributes
- Guide the development and strategy of reusable modeling expressions and toolchains
- Lead technical projects focused on systems engineering and model-based systems engineering
- Help capture external funding for future projects that include systems engineering and model-based systems engineering
- Support analysis of alternatives
- Evaluate system of systems interactions
- Characterize and model risks
- Support definition of system evaluations and analysis of evaluation results
Required Minimum Qualifications
- Candidates currently enrolled in an accredited degree program relevant to this position will be considered. The candidate must have a graduation date of no later than August 2022
- Experience with at least one MBSE language or framework (e.g., SysML, DoDAF) and at least one specialized MBSE software package (e.g., Cameo System Modeler)
- Excellent technical skills, including data analysis and analysis of complex problems
- Excellent written and oral communication skills are critical as work often informs thinking at the top levels of the military and intelligence communities
- Active TS/SCI Clearance
- An advanced degree in Electrical Engineering, Physics, Mathematics, Aerospace Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Systems Engineering, or related degree is strongly preferred, with priority given to candidates holding a PhD in such a field.
- OMG-Certified Systems Modeling Professional TM (OCSMPTM) Certification (any level)
- INCOSE Systems Engineering Professional (SEP) at any level (ASEP, CSEP, ESEP)
- Experience or expertise in one or more of the following domain areas:
- Aerospace systems,
- EO/IR or radar for air and ground-based applications,
- Electronic warfare techniques,
- Current and future kill chains, and
- Intelligence gathering and analysis
- Experience with SysML
- Experience with DoDAF
- Experience using Cameo Systems Modeler and associated plug-ins from No Magic, Inc.
- Experience with software, hardware, or firmware engineering and design
- Technical leadership experience
- Business development (including proposal writing) experience
- Knowledge of and experience performing systems engineering tasks across multiple life cycle stages to include concept, development, production, operations, maintenance, and disposal
- Experience with multiple systems engineering activities including requirements definition and management, architecture development and synthesis, systems integration, systems evaluation, and systems verification and validation
- Experience with multiple development methodologies, including Agile engineering and DevSecOps
- Experience with the definition, use, and test of open architectures (e.g., OMS, FACE, SOSA)
- Experience with operations research techniques, formal design of experiments methodologies, and machine learning techniques/artificial intelligence
- Experience working with defense systems and defense systems of systems
- Experience with military or intelligence operations
10% - 25% travel
Education and Length of Experience
This position vacancy is an open-rank announcement. The final job offer will be dependent on candidate qualifications in alignment with Research Faculty Extension Professional ranks as outlined in section 3.2.1 of the Georgia Tech Faculty Handbook
- 9 years of related experience with a Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Physics, Mathematics, Aerospace Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Systems Engineering, or a related field of study
- 7 years of related experience with a Masters’ degree in Electrical Engineering, Physics, Mathematics, Aerospace Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Systems Engineering, or a related field of study
- 4 years of related experience with a Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering, Physics, Mathematics, Aerospace Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Systems Engineering, or a related field of study
U.S. Citizenship Requirements
Due to our research contracts with the U.S. federal government, candidates for this position must be U.S. Citizens.
Clearance Type Required
Candidates must be able to obtain and maintain an active security clearance.
Safer Federal Workforce Executive Order
Presidential Executive Order 14042 requires most federal contractors, including federal contractors within the University System of Georgia, to comply with Covid-19 guidance from the Safer Federal Workforce Task Force (“Task Force”). Georgia Tech must ensure that all employees covered under the Executive Order (“covered employees”), including those working remotely in the United States, are fully vaccinated by January 19, 2022, or by their first day of work in a covered role.
This position is covered by the Executive Order. Accommodations or exemptions for medical conditions can be requested by individuals who would otherwise be covered but have a disability, medical condition, or sincerely held religious belief, practice, or observance.
Details of the order can be found here.
Benefits at GTRI
Comprehensive information on currently offered GTRI benefits, including Health & Welfare, Retirement Plans, Tuition Reimbursement, Time Off, and Professional Development, can be found through this link: https://hr.gatech.edu/benefits
Diversity & Inclusion
Diversity & Inclusion (D&I) at Georgia Tech Research Institute aims to enhance the Institute’s mission of solving the world’s most complex technical problems by creating a workforce with a shared appreciation for diversity, raising awareness around inclusiveness, and fostering a sense of belonging and appreciation for all members of our community.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Georgia Tech Research Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees. Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law.