The Applied Embedded Systems (AES) Division is predominantly focused on the research, development, testing, and deployment of embedded electronic and electromechanical systems. These systems provide our sponsors with technological solutions in the fields of Electronic Warfare (EW), command and control, communications, avionics, entertainment, physiological monitoring, and other applications.
This Software Engineer (SE) will design, develop, and test software; additionally, the engineer will manage software development teams, provide technical leadership and establish software development lifecycle practices and processes. The Software Engineer should be proficient in programming languages such as Java, C, C++, Ruby, Python, Scala, and Groovy. This role will require extensive knowledge of programming languages, software development, computer operating systems, continuous integration, continuous delivery, DevOps, API development, container development, and distributed systems. The SE will apply engineering principles to software creation, manage production releases of software, perform code reviews, merge feature development branches, and analyze and triage issues. The necessary skill areas for this position are: programming and coding, fundamentals of computer science, design and architecture, algorithms and data structures, information analysis, debugging software, testing software, and working in development teams. In this position, the Software Engineer will work with sponsors to curate requirements, define sprint work items, set priorities for work backlogs, and organize
- The primary author of technical reports/presentations for projects of moderate/high complexity.
- Compile report input from other researchers and prepare final report deliverable.
- Lead and/or contribute to white papers and proposals.
- Propose and lead IRAD programs.
- Create and analyze network protocols.
- Collaborate with Systems Engineers to specify software requirements
- Document software requirements and design implementations
- Develop software/system architectures and translate them into clear engineering/design artifacts
- Present architectures, designs, and analyses to internal/external stakeholders and sponsors
- Estimate software development activities
- Take ownership of major project/program thrusts to include coordinating/leading development teams
- Mentor junior engineering team members
Required Minimum Qualifications
- Experience in developing complex, software-intensive, military or avionics systems using software engineering processes and methodologies.
- Experience designing and architecting software.
- Software engineering experience with developing in languages; C/C++ and/or Ada.
- Experience with embedded programming using real-time operating systems (RTOS) or Linux.
- Experience integrating and troubleshooting systems.
- Active Secret Clearance
- Working knowledge of pipeline design, development and configuration
- Experience with test automation and test automation frameworks
- Basic understanding of radar principles
Education and Length of Experience
This position vacancy is an open-rank announcement. The final job offer will be dependent on candidate qualifications in alignment with Research Faculty Extension Professional ranks as outlined in section 3.2.1 of the Georgia Tech Faculty Handbook
- 9 years of related experience with a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Information Systems, Computer Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or other relevant technical fields.
- 7 years of related experience with a Bachelor's and Masters’ degree with one or both in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Information Systems, Computer Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or other relevant technical fields.
- 4 years of related experience with a Bachelor's, Master's and Ph.D. degree with at least one in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Information Systems, Computer Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or other relevant technical fields.
U.S. Citizenship Requirements
Due to our research contracts with the U.S. federal government, candidates for this position must be U.S. Citizens.
Clearance Type Required
Candidates must be able to obtain and maintain an active security clearance.
Benefits at GTRI
Comprehensive information on currently offered GTRI benefits, including Health & Welfare, Retirement Plans, Tuition Reimbursement, Time Off, and Professional Development, can be found through this link: https://hr.gatech.edu/benefits
Diversity & Inclusion
Diversity & Inclusion (D&I) at Georgia Tech Research Institute aims to enhance the Institute’s mission of solving the world’s most complex technical problems by creating a workforce with a shared appreciation for diversity, raising awareness around inclusiveness, and fostering a sense of belonging and appreciation for all members of our community.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Georgia Tech Research Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees. Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law.